Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My transmission doesn't always work...??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default My transmission doesn't always work...??

It started about a year ago...my Jeep would not shift into 1st while in overdrive. I started shifting it manually and it seemed to work fine. Once up to speed, I can put it in OD and if I get on it, it'll shift down into 2nd. Sometimes it works in drive (from a stop) though.

I had gone to the junk yard to get the lower dash panel because it was cracked....on the back of it was the TCM, so I bought it for 20 bucks, thinking if that's the problem, then it's a cheap fix, if not...it was only 20 bucks. Plugged in the TCM, screwed in the lower dash...fired it up and what do ya know...it's shifting on it's own. About a month later (without any shifting problems) I went offroading at Cleghorn and it quit shifting. So, I went and bought another TCM to see what would happen and no change....didn't shift. Coincidence?

Anyhow, I've been shifting it manually since (about 5 months). I went offroading a few days ago at eagle rock and as I get on the freeway, I'm waiting for 35mph so I can shift into 2nd and it goes into 1st...get goin a bit faster (45mph) go to shift to 2nd and it's still in fricken 1st gear. So, I don't have 2nd gear, all other gears work. Get home and we find a blown fuse....replace it and now 1st gear doesn't work, but 2nd does.

My husband takes it to work to fix this gas smell it has, and on his way to work, 3rd gear doesn't work, but now 1st does. He puts it into OD and it's like it's in neutral...he shifts down to 3rd and it's working, he lets off the throttle and now it's in neutral. So now it only has 1st and 2nd. !!!!!!

Does this make any freaking sense????!!!!! It's not consistent at all! It does it whenever it feels like! However, I drove his Jeep and it starting acting up, so I left it with him at work and drove my Jeep home and it was working fine! Well, all gears manually.

Tranny guys, do you have any clue what the hell is going on???

THANKS!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 PM

nobody has any suggestions, thoughts...? Anybody!?

I KNOW you guys are smart!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:30 AM

I took my Jeep to a tranny shop, they had it for almost 2 days and they said the tranny was good (which I kinda figured). They said the TCM was bad . I put 3 of them in!!! With the scan tool it gave them a 700 code (solenoids) but they said it won't necessarily be the solenoids.....solenoids were good, and they traced it back to the TCM being the problem. They said "the wiring is funny that goes into the transmission".....ok, like funny how? "I don't know, it's just weird."

Anyways, they unplugged the wiring harness going into the transmission, and plugged it back in. I took them one of the TCMs that I had, but didn't have any faith because I had already plugged that in and it didn't work! Ok, so the TCM was bad (that was already in the jeep), but I think the wiring harness had a bad connection...otherwise the TCM would've worked the first time I put it in. They said they found electrical problems, but nobody could explain it to me in detail....where, why, how?

Oh well....it works now (hopefully it's not a coincidence) and it only cost $131.

Just wanted to let everybody know, just incase you're having the same problem.

Last edited by jsteinb95; 10-09-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Thx for sharing that, I'm sure it will help someone out there. Glad you got it working...Tj