Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

my tec question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default my tec question..

Got my jeep back in March , a 96 xj 4.0 HO. and with work/school/and weather i havent had time to work on it besides some basic matainance. I finally got some extra time and money to try to fix my jeep... the problem is that reading posts with simmular problems it doesnt look good. Nobody has had the exact problem as me that i have read yet, but match up to about 75-90% of my problem. sorry about my lack of proper jargon, im just getting into all this stuff so if its not making any sence let me know

when i start my jeep i have to let it sit for about 5 min before i can try to drive it. it will sit and idle 99% of the time but it has a rough idle, once you hear it smooth out you can drive. The weird thing to me is that if you turn it off, even for 1 min and turn it back on you have to wait 5 min. Temp doesnt matter either warm or cold you still have to wait.

once you get it running it runs at about 85%. What i have noticed is that once you get it going i would hold a steady presure on pedle when the gear gets to the high end and gets ready to shift that is when it starts missing again. also if you try to just smash the throtle it does the same thing, it starts missing and backfireing. the engine will rev up like it was going into passing gear but there would be no extra power to the wheels. there are no noises coming from my transmition or any slipping that i can tell.

thats basicly my problem.. I have checked the throtle body sencor and replaced the coil and put a new thermostat in it. What scares me is that any of the posts ive read that were simmular to mine.. they never posted an answer.. oh well guess will find out thanks in advance for any info!!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

have you checked your CPS? you can use a meter to test it.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Have you changed the fuel filter lately?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:15 PM

Im not sure what a CPS is, so no i havent checked it yes i did change fule filter also forgot to mention it in first post

Im sure im probly just gonna have to start replacing things one at a time and see.. i just dont have a ton of $$ to fix it so i was just looking to narrow it down a little bit. friends say new distributor and cap, new plugs new wires, new sensors.. basicly replace everything..
Old 07-13-2010, 08:15 PM

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

cps is crank position sensor test it first also test your fuel pressure at the rail and see what it is as well, also plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor might help but that is part of a basic tune-up so go for that as well if your cps test good.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:47 AM

k thanks, ill look in to that