Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My New Jeep (1999 XJ)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default My New Jeep (1999 XJ)

Got my "new" jeep this week. 1999 red XJ with 4.0L and AX-15 5-speed with 144,000 miles. Drove it home on I-70 over the Rockies and got 27 mpg. Engine, tranny and transfer case in good shape. New clutch, cooling system (radiator, pump, thermostat), AC compressor and front wheel hubs. Things that need fixing that I haven't figured out and could use some advice on:
1. Windshield wipers. The intermittent does not work; low and high work as does the washer, but when the low or high is turned off, the blades stop at their current position. Is it the switch on the steering column (I don't think so), the motor assembly (I don't think so) or some other electronic creature?
2. Rear window defogger. It is inoperative; the light on the switch does not come on either. I checked the relay and it's OK. The on-line parts folks I checked with and the parts catalog I found on this forum don't even list the switch (which is on the lower center console between the cigarette lighter and the rear wiper switch).
3. The master power window lock-out switch (drivers door) seems intermittent; It affects all three non-driver door windows. I can wiggle the lock out button and then the other window switches will work. Do I have to replace the whole master switch (part # 56009449AC for $132)?
4. The turn signals sometimes go goofy. A couple of times all four lights came on when I only had the left turn on; other times they just quit working (left or right) and I have to return the lever to "off" and start over. Switch?
5. Most grevious The right rear power door lock motor worked but it would not actuate the lock assembly button. I took it all apart and cleaned and lubricated everything and it works great, EXCEPT one of the plastic retainer clips that hold the links together disintegrated: there is no part number and the parts guys can't find one. I can't reliably re-assemble without one of those clips. Any suggestions?

My intent is to restore to mint (mostly stock) condition. I just joined this forum and thank you in advance for your help.
Nick
Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

You need to visit a junk yard.

Originally Posted by nsgreear
Got my "new" jeep this week. 1999 red XJ with 4.0L and AX-15 5-speed with 144,000 miles. Drove it home on I-70 over the Rockies and got 27 mpg. Engine, tranny and transfer case in good shape. New clutch, cooling system (radiator, pump, thermostat), AC compressor and front wheel hubs. Things that need fixing that I haven't figured out and could use some advice on:

1. Windshield wipers. The intermittent does not work; low and high work as does the washer, but when the low or high is turned off, the blades stop at their current position. Is it the switch on the steering column (I don't think so), the motor assembly (I don't think so) or some other electronic creature?

There's a module under the steering column that controls all that fun stuff. Give it a shot.

2. Rear window defogger. It is inoperative; the light on the switch does not come on either. I checked the relay and it's OK. The on-line parts folks I checked with and the parts catalog I found on this forum don't even list the switch (which is on the lower center console between the cigarette lighter and the rear wiper switch).

Have you checked the fuses in the passenger side kick panel?

3. The master power window lock-out switch (drivers door) seems intermittent; It affects all three non-driver door windows. I can wiggle the lock out button and then the other window switches will work. Do I have to replace the whole master switch (part # 56009449AC for $132)?

Grab the whole switch panel at a junk yard...

4. The turn signals sometimes go goofy. A couple of times all four lights came on when I only had the left turn on; other times they just quit working (left or right) and I have to return the lever to "off" and start over. Switch?

I agree, Switch.

5. Most grevious The right rear power door lock motor worked but it would not actuate the lock assembly button. I took it all apart and cleaned and lubricated everything and it works great, EXCEPT one of the plastic retainer clips that hold the links together disintegrated: there is no part number and the parts guys can't find one. I can't reliably re-assemble without one of those clips. Any suggestions?

Try the help aisle at the parts store. I've seen them there before.

My intent is to restore to mint (mostly stock) condition. I just joined this forum and thank you in advance for your help.
Nick
Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Name:  TTIUWP.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  56.3 KB
Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

There's a module under the steering column that controls all that fun stuff. Give it a shot.
Can you describe where this module is? What is it called?