Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My jeeps thowing that much water out you would think it was a fire hydrant ... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 l6 HO
Default My jeeps thowing that much water out you would think it was a fire hydrant ... HELP!

My "95 Limited 4.0 HO has now decided, now and again that when i turn the engine off to throw a load of water on the floor, it does only seem to be when i turn the engine off, then i get this running water sound like the one you can hear occasionally in your central heating system? i am very much confused?

even more confusing is that after throwing loads of what i believe to be coolant ( the air con hasnt been on cause that needs recharging too) i started the engine again fine and the coolant level didn't go down, what on earth is wrong with the thing? i know the radiator is weeping slightly but nothing on this ( i have a spare one in the shed and also a spare water pump. any ideas would be very very very much appreciated cause im at a loss on this one!?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:39 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by ARC 4.0
My "95 Limited 4.0 HO has now decided, now and again that when i turn the engine off to throw a load of water on the floor, it does only seem to be when i turn the engine off, then i get this running water sound like the one you can hear occasionally in your central heating system? i am very much confused?

even more confusing is that after throwing loads of what i believe to be coolant ( the air con hasnt been on cause that needs recharging too) i started the engine again fine and the coolant level didn't go down, what on earth is wrong with the thing? i know the radiator is weeping slightly but nothing on this ( i have a spare one in the shed and also a spare water pump. any ideas would be very very very much appreciated cause im at a loss on this one!?
Could it be the radiator cap is no good and releasing pressure to the overflow tank after you shut the motor off...Tj
Old 07-03-2010, 04:11 PM

im gonna check that out, cheers.

my dad seems to think the seals have gone down in the water pump
Old 07-03-2010, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

You said on the "floor..." do you mean inside the cabin passenger side or on the floor/ground of your workspace? I ask because a clog going out of the heater core behind your dash will leave water/coolant on the passenger side floor (with a leak). Otherwise get under there with some safety goggles and have a buddy turn the engine off.

Last edited by alpine.adrenaline; 07-03-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

What color is it, coolant colored, brown and rusty, what? Have you witnessed the "water" leak? Does it seep out, drip out, pour out, shoot out, maybe just appear? When you find the "water" is there condensation near the top of the windows..any sign of steam? Knowing where the "water" is found would help too.

If your hearing dripping inside your HVAC box, I'd suspect a leaky heater core or connection. When water pumps go bad they usually start wining bad, then start leaking out the front
Old 07-04-2010, 06:06 AM

Wow cheers for all the info!

The water is on the driveway, appearing to come mainly down the nearside radiator hose. The water is a rusty brown colour the same as in the reservior tank so it must be coolant, just the level doesnt drop afterwards when you turn the engine over, could there now be some kind of air lock? And maybe air is been drawn though a loose connnection. Their is not really a noise either from the pump. Im starting to wonder weather its a loose connection or somthing, maybe even a damaged hose line? When the engine is runnning very occationally it starts spitting water only a tiny amount around the engine bay, i cant dertmine if its the water pump or water dripping on the belt and throwing it? As you can tell i am megga confused about this one!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 AM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

So your coolant level isn't dropping?

You sure this isn't just condensation from the air conditioner?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CodeXJ
So your coolant level isn't dropping?

You sure this isn't just condensation from the air conditioner?
He said AC is non-functioning... I agree it is probably the Radiator cap.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:56 PM

it was the water pump!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 PM

the water pump had lost that much water that the level wasnt sufficent to change the level within the tank...

will post pics soon