Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My jeep cherokee won't start...just died on me!

Old 11-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question My jeep cherokee won't start...just died on me!

A few months ago my car started doing this kick thing whenever I excelerated to 40mph (between 40-50mph). At first I thought it was the transmission but I spoke with a mechanic and he said it wasn't the tranny. I also noticed that once I got to 40mph and it started kicking, if I pushed my foot down on the gas pedal hard it would skip the kick and would drive normally but if I slowed down back to 40 or 50 mph it start to kick again. Then the other night it was kicking and I felt a few times when I pressed down on the gas pedal I was losing power. I was double parked that same night when it just turned off on me. I was able to start it again with enough time to get it into a parking space. The next day it wouldn't start, it cranks but doesn't start. If anyone has any helpful info I would appreciate it I need my car but can afford to pay a mechanic. One last thing the mechanic said my check engine light is on because i need an oxygen sensor...could this also have something to do with it?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:58 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 HO

Hi and welcome to CF, it could be the CPS (crank position sensor, do a search on here for it) My 94 just lost power and died like that when I first got it and it turned out to be that...Tj