Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is my Fan Clutch Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Is my Fan Clutch Bad?

I've been having some overheating problems with my XJ ever since I bought it. While in traffic it runs just over 210, and with the AC running I've had to shut down to let the engine cool. On the highway the motor runs very cold, I've posted up about my suspicion that the PO installed a 160* tstat.

Yesterday I took my Jeep up a trail, which was little more than an inclined dirt road (I was in full time 4wd), and when I shut it down after ~15 mins of driving it boiled over from the overflow tank.

Allegedly the previous owner installed a new radiator, hoses, tstat, and water pump. I replaced the radiator cap, since the one he installed wasn't fitting correctly and was leaking too.

Coolant is rusty, but not oily/milky so I'm not suspecting a blown HG. He claimed he used the Mopar Coolant, which is red in color when he filled the radiator after replacing.

Does this fan clutch look bad? This was with the motor cold, it moves the same amount with the engine hot too.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

That clutch doesn't look bad to me but the general rule of thumb is if you are having cooling problems while not moving, or moving very slow, but not at highway speeds - change the clutch. That blade flip test can be misleading.

Originally Posted by noisufnoc
I've been having some overheating problems with my XJ ever since I bought it. While in traffic it runs just over 210, and with the AC running I've had to shut down to let the engine cool. On the highway the motor runs very cold, I've posted up about my suspicion that the PO installed a 160* tstat.

Yesterday I took my Jeep up a trail, which was little more than an inclined dirt road (I was in full time 4wd), and when I shut it down after ~15 mins of driving it boiled over from the overflow tank.

Allegedly the previous owner installed a new radiator, hoses, tstat, and water pump. I replaced the radiator cap, since the one he installed wasn't fitting correctly and was leaking too.

Coolant is rusty, but not oily/milky so I'm not suspecting a blown HG. He claimed he used the Mopar Coolant, which is red in color when he filled the radiator after replacing.

Does this fan clutch look bad? This was with the motor cold, it moves the same amount with the engine hot too.

Good or Bad XJ Fan Clutch? - YouTube
Old 10-27-2014, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Mine also is the same cold and hot, but is allot stiffer than that. (It may be some "heavy duty" thing). It doesent freeweel at all, stops in one, maybe two blades. That and your symptoms, agreed with Ken, find a replacement.

Wanna try something? Film that one while someone turns off the (hot) engine. Maybe we will see some freewheeling.

THEN, film it again with the new one and do the same thing.

Of course a real video camera would be better, but hey.....
Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

A fan shroud should be installed either way also.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
That clutch doesn't look bad to me but the general rule of thumb is if you are having cooling problems while not moving, or moving very slow, but not at highway speeds - change the clutch. That blade flip test can be misleading.
Sounds good, thinking of stepping up to the ZJ fan clutch while i'm in there.

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Mine also is the same cold and hot, but is allot stiffer than that. (It may be some "heavy duty" thing). It doesent freeweel at all, stops in one, maybe two blades. That and your symptoms, agreed with Ken, find a replacement.

Wanna try something? Film that one while someone turns off the (hot) engine. Maybe we will see some freewheeling.

THEN, film it again with the new one and do the same thing.

Of course a real video camera would be better, but hey.....
I might just try and find one locally at a parts store and return if it doesn't fix the problem.

a quickie video from the phone is much easier to get up to youtube, thanks for the suggestions

Originally Posted by freegdr
i didn't realize that it was missing from that side, i'll take a look online for one. got a part number by any chance?

Thanks all!
Old 10-27-2014, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

x2 pretty important thing.

As for the fan clutch is skip the ZJ fan clutch. Got one by accident it was the wrong part. Said ah well its an upgrade anyway. I couldn't stand hearing the damn thing all the time, it literally NEVER disengages even a little. It sounds like an 18 wheelers fan when you accelerate. It'd be a waste if you ask me and annoying. Not saying don't do it but just a heads up to ya.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by DieselD
x2 pretty important thing.

As for the fan clutch is skip the ZJ fan clutch. Got one by accident it was the wrong part. Said ah well its an upgrade anyway. I couldn't stand hearing the damn thing all the time, it literally NEVER disengages even a little. It sounds like an 18 wheelers fan when you accelerate. It'd be a waste if you ask me and annoying. Not saying don't do it but just a heads up to ya.
right on.

this looks like the shroud for that side, yeah? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fan-Shro...-/300923138724

PN 52027501AC
Old 10-27-2014, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Yup that looks right.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by DieselD
Yup that looks right.
sweet, picked that up real quick.

you guys think i should swap out the clutch too, while i'm in there?
Old 10-27-2014, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

I didn't catch that! Just the shroud might solve your problem....
Old 10-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I didn't catch that! Just the shroud might solve your problem....
might as well start there, and replace the clutch if it still happens after
Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

Installation tip.........after the fan is mounted to the new clutch, place the fan/clutch assembly inside the new fan shroud and lower them together into position. A 3rd hand is really handy.

.....and DieselD is spot on with regard to a HD clutch making way more noise. We tried it.....couldn't get it off fast enough, way too much noise.

Last edited by djb383; 10-27-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by noisufnoc
might as well start there, and replace the clutch if it still happens after
Better if the fan sucks through the rad, instead of what it grabs around the perimeter of the fan, between it and the rad.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997

Airflow through the radiator can also be an issue if the radiator, condenser, or optional trans cooler fins are all bashed and/or filled with dust, dirt, and bugs.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Another good observation...as long as the shroud is not in the way might as well rince what well with a hose. Also was thinking....someone might have put in the wrong T-stat thinking that would help the fact that there is no shroud. (a 195* stat will be just as open as a 160* stat, before it overheats)

Quick Reply: Is my Fan Clutch Bad?