Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

are my brakes going?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default are my brakes going?

i have a 95 cherokee, and went for a drive last night. everything was fine then, but come this morning i had to push the pedal almost all the way to the floor to come to a complete stop. i bled the back once i got home from school this afternoon, and there was no air, i couldn't get the front ones undone, even using vice grips. the front aside what could have caused this. the res didnt need any more fluid. i know i could use new pads, and rotors up front, but there not horrible yet. so what could have caused this, and what needs to be done to fix it?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Pushing the pedal all the way down to come to a stop is not a good thing... It could be a number of different things that could have happened... You may have a bad master cylinder, wheel cylinder, caliper or old rotted line... Your first step should be to check around the master cylinder for moisture caused by leaking brake fluid... if that's tight then you should check all the lines, calipers, wheel cylinders and connections for leaks... if you find a leak that would explain the low pedal but if all is dry then there is a good chance that the master cylinder is no good... also compress the front calipers and make sure they slide freely... and pull the drums to see if the wheel cylinders are leaking into the drum and shoe area... good luck...