Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My Aussie intall

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default My Aussie intall

I picked up an Aussie for a steal over here so finally had a go at fitting it. The install was straightforward except for one problem, I could only just get the second cam gear in place, even using no grease. When fitted, my centre gap was too big at 0.182". The thrust washers were in spec at 0.032".

I got a pair of 0.040" washers made, but knew that I was going to have a major problem fitting the second cam gear.

Using some emery paper placed on a flat surface I hand ground the right hand axle gear inner lip until I had just enough clearance when dry. Got it all fitted, then applied grease using a q-tip. My clearances were now within spec at 0.020" and 0.164".

Checked it ratcheted when still on stands, then took it for a very gentle spin. Negotiated some very tight turns on hills in town, it was fairly noisy but behaved well.

My axle is the Dana 35, fitted with 30" tires and a small lift, and I leave it in full time 4wd all the time.

Rob

Last edited by longship; 05-20-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: got my part time/full time confused.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by longship
I picked up an Aussie for a steal over here so finally had a go at fitting it. The install was straightforward except for one problem, I could only just get the second cam gear in place, even using no grease. When fitted, my centre gap was too big at 0.182". The thrust washers were in spec at 0.032".

I got a pair of 0.040" washers made, but knew that I was going to have a major problem fitting the second cam gear.

Using some emery paper placed on a flat surface I hand ground the right hand axle gear inner lip until I had just enough clearance when dry. Got it all fitted, then applied grease using a q-tip. My clearances were now within spec at 0.020" and 0.164".

Checked it ratcheted when still on stands, then took it for a very gentle spin. Negotiated some very tight turns on hills in town, it was fairly noisy but behaved well.

My axle is the Dana 35, fitted with 30" tires and a small lift, and I leave it in part time 4wd all the time.

Rob
alright. is this a statement of what you did? since you tinkered with the aussie the company know wont warranty it.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Yep, this is what I've done. The lip I reduced is the lip the c-clip sits against, and has no effect on the lockers operation.

The locker was bought 2nd hand but un-used, so no warranty applies I imagine. Don't understand how the locker/diff could be so out of whack.

When cleaning my spider gears to box 'em up I noticed some damage on the teeth, so maybe they didn't have long to last.

I'll pull the locker and inpect it in a few months, and change the wheel bearings at the same time.

Rob
Old 05-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Registered Users

Yep, this is what I've done. The lip I reduced is the lip the c-clip sits against, and has no effect on the lockers operation.

The locker was bought 2nd hand but un-used, so no warranty applies I imagine. Don't understand how the locker/diff could be so out of whack.

When cleaning my spider gears to box 'em up I noticed some damage on the teeth, so maybe they didn't have long to last.

I'll pull the locker and inpect it in a few months, and change the wheel bearings at the same time.

Rob
weird. our shop and literally installed 200 of these and not a single issue. strange
Old 05-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Beats me. It's fitted and in spec now. When I pull it, I'll measure everything and try to see where the problem lay.

Rob
Old 05-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Registered Users

Beats me. It's fitted and in spec now. When I pull it, I'll measure everything and try to see where the problem lay.

Rob
glad you got it going!
Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 PM

Cheers. So am I.

Rob
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Synthetic gear oil will quieten it down a little bit.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:36 PM

The Aussie is working perfectly, I can report. I negotiated some very tight steep turns in the wet today. I was in 2WD, and previously the Jeep would just spin the inside wheel, but today it locked up and threw me up that hill.

I'll still inspect and adjust shims late summer though.

A thought occurred to me, maybe the original owner of the locker sold it because he couldn't get it to fit.

Rob

Last edited by longship; 05-30-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: A thought