Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

my 89 Broke Down Comanche - At my wits end!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default my 89 Broke Down Comanche - At my wits end!

My 2.5 motor was running too rich, then it gradually started not starting while warm... eventually it started stalling, and after a while completely stalled and would no longer start at all.
Replaced Fuel Injector, checked all fuel lines.
Then I determined that it jumped time, because on number 1 compression stroke the rotor was not pointing at number 1.
So I Replaced timing gear and chain. Read Chilton manual on how to setup timing, checked to see that there were indeed 20 pins from timing mark to timing mark. Lined it Up on number 1 compression stroke. Per the manual, I set oil pump shaft at 3 oclock, turned the rotor to 5 oclock to drop it in, and once it was seated it was at 6 oclock. Checked all electric wiring, no bare wires or bad fuses. Have not replaced rotor and cap, but it was running before it jumped time. Have spark, have plenty of fuel. Motor will not fire at all.

This vehicle has the only distributor I've ever seen without electronic components of any kind - no magnetic pickups, etc. Only thing inside is the the rotor. Very odd.

Any ideas appreciated, first time in 20+ years a vehicle has stumped me like this!

Last edited by jklinger; 07-23-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added content
Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by jklinger
My 2.5 motor was running too rich, then it gradually started not starting while warm... eventually it started stalling, and after a while completely stalled and would no longer start at all.
Replaced Fuel Injector, checked all fuel lines.
Then I determined that it jumped time, because on number 1 compression stroke the rotor was not pointing at number 1.
So I Replaced timing gear and chain. Read Chilton manual on how to setup timing, checked to see that there were indeed 20 pins from timing mark to timing mark. Lined it Up on number 1 compression stroke. Per the manual, I set oil pump shaft at 3 oclock, turned the rotor to 5 oclock to drop it in, and once it was seated it was at 6 oclock. Checked all electric wiring, no bare wires or bad fuses. Have not replaced rotor and cap, but it was running before it jumped time. Have spark, have plenty of fuel. Motor will not fire at all.

Any ideas appreciated, first time in 20+ years a vehicle has stumped me like this!
this really needs to be in cherokee tech just a heads up.... When you say plenty of fuel what do you mean at fuel rail or spraying from injectors?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is spraying from the injectors. I've also poured gas in the Throttle body, and used starter fluid.

I will post also in Cherokee tech, thanks for the heads up. Also note I added a line above:

"This vehicle has the only distributor I've ever seen without electronic components of any kind - no magnetic pickups, etc. Only thing inside is the the rotor. Very odd."
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by freegdr
this really needs to be in cherokee tech just a heads up
Yep.

Moved to OEM Tech.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

if your getting spark and fuel like you say its either firing order of wires or timing chains wrong