Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

MULTIPLE QUESTIONS (mainly that have been bouncing around in my head for a while)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default MULTIPLE QUESTIONS (mainly that have been bouncing around in my head for a while)

1. Do they make a throttle body spacer for a 88? Heres one but its from 97 and up, yeah they both are FI, however 97 and up inline-6 have coil-over ignition and I have a distributor, I know it doesnt sound related, but some companys build them so everything but the main engine body is different. So will it fit? here is the link.....
http://www.4wd.com/subcategories.aspx?cid=1&jeep-sid=4

2. Everything, like all of my syptoms for a coolant temp. sensor, IE,
a. ECM is not sending power to the electric fan relay
b. The temp gauge is wayyyyyy off from actual temp
c. Acting like the egr valve is messed up
But, I dont have one! at first I thought someone put the wrong thermostat housing in it, however, there is no plug in, (if that were true)

3. what is this?

thanks guys
Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 AM

Model: Wagoneer

The thing in you're last pic is you're oil pressure sending unit.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:22 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by dirts4racin2
The thing in you're last pic is you're oil pressure sending unit.
X2 found that out the hard way when I broke mine....
Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

To answer question 1. I believe the 2000-2001 had coil over ignition, anything prior had distributor. And a throttle body spacer is only good for a throttle body injected engine. I am not sure if 88 was TBI or not... If it is not TBI then the spacer will do you very little to no good.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by losingxinsight
X2 found that out the hard way when I broke mine....
me to i hit it while doing something else and next time a started it i got a 80 psi reading i was like wtf. lucky it was only a 10 dollar fix.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by prerunner1982
To answer question 1. I believe the 2000-2001 had coil over ignition, anything prior had distributor. And a throttle body spacer is only good for a throttle body injected engine. I am not sure if 88 was TBI or not... If it is not TBI then the spacer will do you very little to no good.
i think it tbi but i have never seen a spacer for that setup.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:10 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by a1racer
me to i hit it while doing something else and next time a started it i got a 80 psi reading i was like wtf. lucky it was only a 10 dollar fix.

In my own stupidity it was when I was changing the oil. Wasn't looking, got the wrench around it and pulled - heard the snap and then realized what I did. And it was $30 for me! lol
Old 06-15-2009, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by prerunner1982
now that you mention it, I dont know why I didnt think about it earler, when I was thinking about how bad the rubber boots were looking on my injector wires, I have the injectors that are in the individual ports of the intake manifold (aka non-TBI)

but still, can anyone enlighten me about the coolant temp sensor issue??? thats my main concern, because my manual covers all xj's it doesnt really help in this situation
Old 06-15-2009, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Renix Cherokee(and Comanches) 1987-1990 are EFI.. Multiport just like the the later ones. The only TBI Cherokees are the early 4-cyl models.

1. Yes.. they did make throttle body spacers for Renix models. But I believe everyone has discontinued them now. Its been 19 years since the last Renix models were built. No economic reason to continue making the spacers.

But like one of the other posters pointed out... a spacer on an Multi-port injection system will do almost nothing.

2. A Renix uses two coolant temp sensors. One at the back of the head for the gauge. One on the side of the engine for the ECM functions. The important one is under the exhaust manifold in the block.

3. That is your oil pressure sensor. There are two different versions. One for vehicles with gauges and one for vehicles with an idiot light. They are not interchangeable.

Your A,B,C problems could all be caused by bad coolant temp sensors. But seeing how you are talking about two different sensors on this motor. How do you know your gauge is off?? Have you used a seperate thermometer to determine the actual temp?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

As for question number one i'd say a throttle body spacer is going to be pointless they don't really help a 4.0 at all from what I have heard. They do make a throttle body spacer for 87-90's though
Old 06-15-2009, 04:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by whowey

2. A Renix uses two coolant temp sensors. One at the back of the head for the gauge. One on the side of the engine for the ECM functions. The important one is under the exhaust manifold in the block.
I ask about the coolant temp sensor, because on most other ones it is there at the thermostat housing, i cant find the other ones!! lol the on under the exhaust, isnt that a oil temp sensor? and the one at the back of the head, isnt that a engine temp sensor? whats the one near the intake for?

Originally Posted by whowey

Your A,B,C problems could all be caused by bad coolant temp sensors. But seeing how you are talking about two different sensors on this motor. How do you know your gauge is off?? Have you used a seperate thermometer to determine the actual temp?
well i knew that they point to a bad temp sensor (due to the symptoms), but i know the gauge is off because it starts to act like it is over heating, the fan doesnt kick in at all (no power to the relay) and someone at work compared his temp thangy to my gauge.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Look at this. http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm
Old 06-15-2009, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gearheadette
I ask about the coolant temp sensor, because on most other ones it is there at the thermostat housing, i cant find the other ones!! lol the on under the exhaust, isnt that a oil temp sensor? and the one at the back of the head, isnt that a engine temp sensor? whats the one near the intake for?

well i knew that they point to a bad temp sensor (due to the symptoms), but i know the gauge is off because it starts to act like it is over heating, the fan doesnt kick in at all (no power to the relay) and someone at work compared his temp thangy to my gauge.
They are both called coolant temp sensors in the FSM and factory parts lists. But have two different parts numbers. The one under the exhaust is the one that you need for the ECU inputs. On newer models the sensor is right up by the thermostat housing. But not on Renix models.

The sensor that is in the intake is the MAT(manifold air temp) sensor.

Which side of the relay has no power??? It could be a problem on the supply side of the relay and not one one on the switch side. The relay has 4 wires leading to it. 2 inputs, one output and a ground. Trying swapping a known good relay in and testing the fan by putting the defroster or air conditioner on.

The reason I asked had you used a known good thermometer to check the actual temp is that A and C could both be related to the front CTS being bad, but the B problem would have to be related to the back sensor.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

lol, right now i have the 85 and 86 jumped with a toggle so i can run the fan manually, (i specialize in electrial bugs with motorcycles and tractors)
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

The only one you need to jumper is the one with the orange lead. I don't have have my wiring manual here to get which terminal it is for you.

Quick Reply: MULTIPLE QUESTIONS (mainly that have been bouncing around in my head for a while)