Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

to much body roll

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L high output with compressed valves
Cool to much body roll

So I have my front sway bar disconnected at the front. I have my rear connected. I just put my new shocks in all around. But I can push my jeep back and fourth enough to where a tire almost comes off the ground. I have lift shackles in the rear and spacers in the front. Anyone have ideas of why is has so much body roll?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

The body roll is because of the disconnected sway bar. Being lifted a little creates a higher center of gravity too, which can make it a little more noticeable. With the help of a buddy, I can push my Jeep over onto its side (did it once just to see if we could) with no sway bars. But it still handles fine on the road. Its not something I'm worried about, and I'll never put the sway bars back on mine.
I'd go ahead and take the rear bar off too, it doesnt really do much of anything.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kirknd4spd
The body roll is because of the disconnected sway bar. Being lifted a little creates a higher center of gravity too, which can make it a little more noticeable. With the help of a buddy, I can push my Jeep over onto its side (did it once just to see if we could) with no sway bars. But it still handles fine on the road. Its not something I'm worried about, and I'll never put the sway bars back on mine.
I'd go ahead and take the rear bar off too, it doesnt really do much of anything.
Seriously?

Don't do that. Buy quick disconnects and use them. SMH.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by F1Addict
Seriously?

Don't do that. Buy quick disconnects and use them. SMH.
+1
No doubt, I hope they don't eat it in front of me.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by goblinish15
So I have my front sway bar disconnected at the front... Anyone have ideas of why is has so much body roll?
Global warming? Wait! No! Um, GREEN! No, that's not it, either. Got it, macaroni, that's why.

Or, it could sway because you disconnected the very device designed to prevent that but I'm sticking with macaroni.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Rolled your jeep from pushing on it? Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

It's kind of obvious it's because your sway bar is disconnected... That is there to prevent what you are experiencing ...
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Rolled your jeep from pushing on it? Pics or it didn't happen.
============================================

dang,,, ya'll need to read the entire posts,,,

Not just the "key" words.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

haha..
On my last 3 xj's ive owned each have been lifted and not a single one has had a sway bar...
My 88 had a swaybar when it was at 3 inches..but when I went to 4.5 I took it off and never looked back.
My 98 was at around 5 inches, no sway bar, no regrets..
My 00 now is at 3 inches, and no sway bar...currently building a 3 link and going to 4.5... I will honestly probably get a sway bar for it just because the 3 link is going to be a bit more flexy then just short arms..

Ive driven all these lifted xjs on the highway up to around 70-75, made 1 or 2 evasive maneuvers from the ******* drivers we have around here doing what they normally do. Sure, there is a noticeable bit more body roll, but its not horrible like everyone says. I do take extra caution with it though.

With that said...put your sway bar back on if you dont like the body roll.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

I guess my question is why would you remove the sway bar? Do you think it's just there for looks? Some engineer just put it on there to add weight? Please, explain the logic. Disconnecting or removing it makes an already ill-handing box handle even worse (hence, this thread) and increases the likelihood of a highway speed roll-over, dramatically. Why would you remove it and endanger yourself and everyone around you?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by F1Addict
I guess my question is why would you remove the sway bar? Do you think it's just there for looks? Some engineer just put it on there to add weight? Please, explain the logic. Disconnecting or removing it makes an already ill-handing box handle even worse (hence, this thread) and increases the likelihood of a highway speed roll-over, dramatically. Why would you remove it and endanger yourself and everyone around you?
why disconnect sway bars? because cherocar.
but really, because off road the sway bars make the suspension worthless
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mrfajita
...but really, because off road the sway bars make the suspension worthless
Right, I completely understand that a disconnected sway bar offers greater suspension articulation when you're flexing off-road. Many things are better off-road, but what about when you're on the highway traveling at higher speeds with other cars full of families next to you? Your suspension, however crude and rudimentary it may be (or maybe because of it), has a sway bar to prevent your Jeep from flipping when you have to take evasive maneuvers.

XJs already have a tendency to rock, even when the sway bars are connected. Sometimes you'll just be driving along the road and hit a hump just right which sets up an oscillation where the body of your XJ is just a pendulum, the primary suspension component keeping that oscillation in check is your sway bar (also called an anti-roll bar, duh). The same thing happens when you have to make a sudden evasive maneuver and attempt to correct, you load up the suspension on one side then quickly switch the moment of inertia to the other. No sway bar, you're going over. Better hope the insurance investigator doesn't notice that missing sway bar because if they do, the family of the folks you wiped out will be sucking your paychecks for the rest of your life. It is illegal to drive a vehicle on the highway without a sway bar if it came equipped with one.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

i have had several straigth axle trucks with and with out sway bars. my jeep does not have one and i notice roll but i never hear the tires squeal notice no differenace in body roll vs with a swqay bar now when i had my chevy 2wd with independant front ya the sway bar was noticable when it was detacthed. my thoughts are once i need a sway bar i will get one i can do 80 on the hightway no issues and hey if i want to get twisted up off road i just go i dont have to stop get out pull my pins so my suspension can do its job off road
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM

Year: 1998

what he said^^^^^^^ (F1)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM

Year: 1998

its irresponsible plain and simple,unless its a dedicated trail rig, youth is wasted on the young

Quick Reply: to much body roll