Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

mounting header panel/continuing jeep woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Default mounting header panel/continuing jeep woes

so i was planning on inspecting all the pulleys at the front of my engine tonight for damage and after hopefully finding no damage, put on a new serpentine belt. However, the half inch of sheet ice covering my jeep makes it hard to look under the hood.

so instead im looking for a bit of information for later work.

currently my header panel is held on by rope connected to various tubes and loops within the engine bay. It was like this when i bought it 2 weeks ago, and for obvious reasons im not too happy with it pulling on god knows what parts. I have seen passing comments on zip-tying the header panel on, and i have some heavy duty zip-ties. Im just curious if anyone who has done this knows the best and most sturdy spots to attach it.

secondly, im in the window-shopping phase for a rear bumper. I want it to match my front bumper, so im looking for D-rings and sloping bottom for increased clearance. I also want a wheel carrier. Now, ive seen several bumpers that meet these criteria, but i havent found the right one. Since my lower rear quarter panels (i think thats the right term.....right behind the back tires at bumper level) are beginning to rust, i think it would be sweet to have a bumper that replaces that lower spot all the way around to the tires. Anyone know where to find those?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

Bump, really curious about the zip tie fix
Old 02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

header panels are pretty cheap and plentiful. why not just grab a good one and put that in rather than relying on plastic zip ties?
maybe go for the 97+ panel swap.

unless of course there is extensive damage behind the panel and a new one won't just bolt up easily, but the brackets are plentiful at a junk yard also.

too bad you weren't closer, i have a couple early panels and a 97+ that i will prolly put on mine.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Originally Posted by caged
header panels are pretty cheap and plentiful. why not just grab a good one and put that in rather than relying on plastic zip ties?
maybe go for the 97+ panel swap.

unless of course there is extensive damage behind the panel and a new one won't just bolt up easily, but the brackets are plentiful at a junk yard also.

too bad you weren't closer, i have a couple early panels and a 97+ that i will prolly put on mine.
Really? My new header was about 200. Not necessarily cheap for a fews strips of fiberglass... Thats why people zip tie em on.

But, Maybe you could find one in the junkyard in good shape and ready to mount to your XJ
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

i got one off ebay, its not fiberglass its plastic but you cant tell it looks factory to me, you just gotta paint it and thats it
Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i bought my 97+ from the junk yard with fenders for 100 bux. that came complete with grille, lights, wire harness and the fenders had the flares and antenna mounted.
i literally unbolted the pristine clip myself. very easy to do.

the others came off my parts jeeps.