Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default motor mounts

88 4.0

My engine mounts are pretty horrible. I was looking at the M.O.R.E. bombproof torsion mounts. I was wondering if anyone has any reviews of those or different engine mounts. They are significantly more expensive but if they are replace once verses others every few years would it be worth it? Also how difficult and long does it take to swap mounts? The passenger side looks pretty easy but the drivers? Thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 11:34 PM

Year: 1996

Brown Dog. Don't even bother looking at anything else. Great customer service. Super solid mounts. If I did it all over again I would go with the super kit on both sides instead of just the passenger side. I can't comment fully on how long because I did my exhaust manifold at the same time which made the drivers side considerably easier but I would guess you would want to set aside a full day so your not rushed. Also, make sure you do your tranny mount at the same time. The piece of mind is definitely worth it.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO I-6

^^ x2 just put in mine. Even with the polys its a great choice!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I have the full Brown Dog kit with the rubber mounts and the engine brackets. They are very impressive. The brackets attach in several extra holes in the block to make it virtually impossible to have the bracket failure problem people have had with the stock brackets. The welds are damned solid. I don't think I really completely understood how heavy duty these were until I opened the box and got my first look at them.

If anybody ever breaks one, I'd love to hear that story, because they would have to be doing something pretty insane to accomplish that.

They are definitely pricey, but they offer member discounts on some forums. I got a 10% discount (about $34), but I can't remember if it was from this forum or one of the others.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

^x3 they are the best^
Old 08-22-2014, 11:53 PM

Year: 1988

cool thanks i'll try them out. Is there a way to tell if the trans mount is bad or going bad without totally taking it off? I really don't know what i'm looking at for the trans mount.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:35 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ljobbins
cool thanks i'll try them out. Is there a way to tell if the trans mount is bad or going bad without totally taking it off? I really don't know what i'm looking at for the trans mount.
I would replace it when doing the engine mounts as I would guess that its well worn also and might be the weak link, it has to come loose anyway.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by ljobbins
Is there a way to tell if the trans mount is bad or going bad without totally taking it off? I really don't know what i'm looking at for the trans mount.
The transmission mount collapses on itself when it gets tired. If you had access to an XJ of the same year with a known good transmission mount, you could measure it and compare.

As Fred said, you should just plan to replace the transmission mount anyway because you have to loosen it to let it move freely when you replace the engine mounts. As long as you're under there anyway, why not? If the engine mounts need replacement, the transmission mount probably does also.

One thing to note: If you go with polyurethane engine mounts, don't use a poly transmission mount. One end of that triangle needs to be rubber or you can get crazy vibration.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by extrashaky
One thing to note: If you go with polyurethane engine mounts, don't use a poly transmission mount. One end of that triangle needs to be rubber or you can get crazy vibration.
This is something I was wondering about. I ordered a set of Brown Dog poly motor mounts last night and wasn't sure what to order for the tranny mount. Has anyone personally run poly mounts for both motor and tranny in a 4.0 XJ? I understand there will be more vibes, but exactly how much?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

On mine I used a good OME mount for the trans bought from a Jeep dealer online, my old one was still good but thought it was time to replace it anyway with the motor mounts.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
On mine I used a good OME mount for the trans bought from a Jeep dealer online, my old one was still good but thought it was time to replace it anyway with the motor mounts.
I'm in the same boat, if I'm replacing motor mounts I will replace the trans mount. I think I'll order a Daystar poly mount and if the vibes are too much for my liking I'll swap it out for a rubber mount.