Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Motor and Cluster issues HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Motor and Cluster issues HELP!!!

Ok guys im a noobie to the jeep world. I bought a 93 cherokee 4 dr 4x4 auto 4.0 that was supposed to have just a stuck lifter. I replaced all 12 lifters, headgasket, valve cover gasket, intake/exhaust gasket, thermostat, thrmo gasket, oil, and filter. It runs and drives fine but still sounds like a lifter is stuck. Has a slight pecking/knocking soun under the valve cover. Any ideas would be greatlly appreciated. Also I have no cluster lights and no gauges that work? all fuses look good. Are there anyways to tell what maybe the cause?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 4WheelNoobiE
Ok guys im a noobie to the jeep world. I bought a 93 cherokee 4 dr 4x4 auto 4.0 that was supposed to have just a stuck lifter. I replaced all 12 lifters, headgasket, valve cover gasket, intake/exhaust gasket, thermostat, thrmo gasket, oil, and filter. It runs and drives fine but still sounds like a lifter is stuck. Has a slight pecking/knocking soun under the valve cover. Any ideas would be greatlly appreciated. Also I have no cluster lights and no gauges that work? all fuses look good. Are there anyways to tell what maybe the cause?

for the noise, are you sure you don't have a bad rocker or push rod? If you're sure then my best guess is a bad cam.

for the gauges, check the fuses with a mulitmeter or testlightwith the key on, check both sides of the fuse. It's possible for them to look good but not be so. If that's not it, take the instrument cluster from the dash look at the connections make sure they aren't corroded. If they look good then you've got the notorious bad circuit board on the back of the cluster. Best solution, get another cluster at a junkyard or ebay. They aren't too expensive.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the quick response and the input. I will definatly use it. Any other ideas before I go checking anyone?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A test light comes in handy for electrical problems. Try getting some mechanical guages on it till the electrical is fixed. Atleast then you will know whats going on with the engine.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Yes very true....thanks for all the input....anyone else with ideas please post.im going to try and track down my problems tomorrow.