Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

More smoke, this time front, what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default More smoke, this time front, what could it be?

Hello all,

Tried searching but didn't find any thread that helped me.

I have a XJ-94, 4.0 HO.

After driving for about 45 mins on mostly freeway, I stopped and just went around the car and stopped and saw smoke in the light from the passenger side headlight.
My first thought was another busted caliper (had one die on me a while back, changed it). Drove it back home, slowly and carefully as not to engage that brakes to much (still thinking caliper), turned it off and went to check.
Cold as ice on the rims so no problem there. However, the smoke was coming from the (when standing facing the front) left hand side of the grill, a "smokey" smell, similar to burning plastic or oil. It wasn't much but enough to get me all worked up and wondering. I checked the engine bay and couldn't see any smoke there or smell any. All the way down, underneath the fan and radiator I did see a oily(?) puddle building up on top of my engine cover and a hose covered in this oily stuff. It's located close to the grill but below the radiator and fan – could that be the culprit?
I am at a loss when it comes to ideas of what this could be and it is that is causing it – any help will be greatly appreciated.

My radiator does have some nicks and bends but nothing insane, also the weather has edged towards cold – around 40-45 today, but it wasn't just steam (I don't think).

edit.
This pic has what I think is the hose I'm reffering to. it's the thinner one that has been unplugged and has a yellow connection, but it could also be the thicker one, all black close to the pink rag:
http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/...or_removed.jpg

Last edited by McHank; 10-24-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If it was coolant leaking, it would smell sweet when burning. Check for a short from your headlight or something in that area.

edit: I am a bit confused with your edit/pic, but that might be your power steering fluid leaking? Check the level, but nothing hot enough over there to burn the leaking fluid. Those hoses may connect to the pump that is missing in that pic, but I have never worked with one so it is only a guess.

Last edited by Fsher21; 10-24-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM

Hi Fsher21,

Thanks for the quick reply!

If it is a short can the lights still work as normal, ie. be as strong? Now I'm not sure if the smell has some sweetness to it, it was definitely smoke though.

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to the radiator and fan area but looking at the power steering hoses after a quick google I think they might be too thin to be the one I looked at.

edit. The smoke is white-ish and wouldn't say blue, so I'm not sure it's oil.

Originally Posted by Fsher21
If it was coolant leaking, it would smell sweet when burning. Check for a short from your headlight or something in that area.

edit: I am a bit confused with your edit/pic, but that might be your power steering fluid leaking? Check the level, but nothing hot enough over there to burn the leaking fluid. Those hoses may connect to the pump that is missing in that pic, but I have never worked with one so it is only a guess.

Last edited by McHank; 10-24-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM

If the hose covered in the oily substance is a large lower radiator hose, that would be your power steering fluid leaking. It can't burn down there though, so I think you have 2 unrelated issues. I can't think of anything other than electrical that would create smoke from so far forward by the grill/light. If it was coolant, it would smell like you are boiling syrup and it is green in color.

How are all your fluid levels? The wires are worth looking at in the time being though.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 PM

If the hose covered in the oily substance is a large lower radiator hose, that would be your power steering fluid leaking. It can't burn down there though, so I think you have 2 unrelated issues. I can't think of anything other than electrical that would create smoke from so far forward by the grill/light. If it was coolant, it would smell like you are boiling syrup and it is green in color.

How are all your fluid levels? The wires are worth looking at in the time being though.
Ah, ok, I haven't checked the fluid level for the power steering in a long long, long time... will do that tomorrow. The hose in question is in the linked video at about 00:52-54, the one on the left coming up towards the camera.

The levels for coolant are pretty good, between "full" and "add" and has been there over the last 2 months or so at least.

If it indeed is the light shorting out, would it cause enough smoke to be seen from the same headlight as is shorting out do you think? It't not much but I have no problem seeing it in dark with only the headlights on.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Do you have a tranny cooler?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Do you have a tranny cooler?
I think so, if it is the second cooler in front of the bigger one.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:13 PM

Might be a line for that, so it could be tranny fluid as well. Sorry I am hoping someone else comes along with a bit more knowledge than myself. Might as well check all your fluid levels, it is a good habit to check your fluid levels quite often.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Might be a line for that, so it could be tranny fluid as well. Sorry I am hoping someone else comes along with a bit more knowledge than myself. Might as well check all your fluid levels, it is a good habit to check your fluid levels quite often.
Absolutely, really haven't thought of the P/S fluid until you mentioned it. Thanks for all your input, really appreciate it!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by McHank
Absolutely, really haven't thought of the P/S fluid until you mentioned it. Thanks for all your input, really appreciate it!
Of course. Let me know what you come up with when you get to take a look, maybe you can get a few more ideas from here before then also.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:29 AM

After thinking about the shorting issue that Fsher21 pointed towards...

...Could it be that the light is shorting out only right when I turn off the car and push in the "turn off lights"-button. Because, when driving, I have no problems at all with a flickering light or black one.

As for the line at the bottom of my radiator; I think, after reading about everyone else having it, I too have a leaking o-ring at the transmission cooling hose – will check that today.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Bump, anyone have an idea or have had a similar thing happen?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Did you check if your belts slipping and getting burned up?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Slick761
Did you check if your belts slipping and getting burned up?
Hm, nope, did look at them and couldn't see anything weird – but I'm not sure what it would look like if they were just slightly slipping. Would there be any screeching or bad noise if it's happening?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Not necessarily.... if it is it could leave an oily residue. Are you getting puddles or just a little?

Quick Reply: More smoke, this time front, what could it be?