Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

More Rear Wiper Woes.....?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default More Rear Wiper Woes.....?

I just replaced the wiper switch hoping it would resolve the non functioning intermittent wiper. It didn't, but the old switch's light was out and the new onw does light up so that's a step in the right direction. I did discover that the wiper will work on intermittent when the hatch is open. That said, should I be looking for a loose ground or a damaged wire from body to hatch? The wiper does work in the wash mode.......

I searched the forum but didn't come up with anything that would be helpful. Normally I would just open the hatch armed with a DVM and test everything but it's wicked cold now and I have to work outside. Not fun at all.

I recently acquired this 99 XJ with only 90k on the clock. I'm really happy with it but it does have some of the common problems that XJ's suffer from. It seems that electrical gremlins are the Aquilles heel of the XJ. They aren't serious but can be annoying. Any help/advice would be appreciated and it might just save me from a bout of frostbite......
Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

when i got mine 98 xj the thrid brake light was out removed the inside hatch cover and trace the wiring found broken wires at the liftgate pivot point removed rubber gorment pushed the wires inside repaired retaped no problems for the past two years it is a (pita) job but worth your time