Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

More Power Door Lock Issues....??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default More Power Door Lock Issues....??

I just finished running new wires through the door boots to replace the damaged original wireds for the speakers. That done, now the electric door locks don't work.

I did make one mistake. According to the FSM, the wires on the pass. door speakers were color coded dark blue/red (-) and violet w/white tracer (+). My original speaker had light blue w/red tracer and light blue w/black tracer. It's all original as far as I know and don't understand why there is this discrepancy. My mistake was snipping the light blue w/red tracer in the kick panel (the one which goes into the harness towards the rear. after realizing that this was a mistake, I soldered and used heat shrink to reconnect them. In the end, the speaker works fine, but the rear hatch locking mechanism was going crazy till I held the lock switch in the lock position for several seconds. Now, I just get a "click" when I turned the key on or to accessory and the locks are inoperable.

I've searched but still haven't found an answer. Any ideas out there?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Found another discrepancy. My build sheet states that my XJ came with the 4 speaker system BUT the wiring in my door has the 6 speaker color codes....

Not sure what direction to go now......
Old 04-10-2011, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

our jeeps and their wiring issues... ugh... i would want to go back into the area that you were in and just start double checking things. maybe there is a new loose, or faulty wire in there that was just waiting to be bumped or pulled a little. a couple of times this winter all 4 door speakers would cut out. all i had to do was simply open and close the drivers door and all was well... what were you following for a / instructions? im curious about the discrepencies... i gotta imagine that someone at some point switched the wiring out, or that you have a slightly different set up that the insrtuctions were for? the 6 speaker thing is new to me, too! IDK!!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

as for the window issue, I also had no operation on the passenger side window. turned out to be the plug going into the fusebox. loose connection. since you were in there it is possible that there is a new loose connection.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by VTJeep
what were you following for a / instructions? im curious about the discrepencies... i gotta imagine that someone at some point switched the wiring out, or that you have a slightly different set up that the insrtuctions were for? the 6 speaker thing is new to me, too! IDK!!

I was following the 1999 XJ factory service manual wiring schematics. So far, there's no evidence to suggest that the previous owner changed the harness as everything looks factory......

Two items that I did make a mental note of is that there's a light blue/red tracer that also goes to the lock switch that according to the FSM is for the overhead console (which I don't have) and there was a factory splice for the tweeter (which I don't have) in the door panel that ran up to a connector.

Last edited by Crow Horse; 04-10-2011 at 04:14 PM.