Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

More parts for the Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six
Default More parts for the Jeep

So my fabulous Jeep decided to through a CEL today. I went to advance. Found out bank one and bank two oxygen sensors were bad. I had an evap leak. The NSS is acting up (confirmed this when I didn't have reverse lights tonight backing into my driveway) and the cooling fan relay is throwing a code. I am extremely tight on money. Is there anything I can do to save some money like fixing anything using as little money as possible. What kind of oxygen sensors should I get and where can I get some cheap. Thanks guys. This really killed my night. Have a good one.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Before you get going with throwing money at things consider that all of those problems have electrical grounds in common. Check this out: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/ 1, 3, 4, and 5 are good places to start. It's written for the older Renix generation but most of it still applies. This page has locations of all the engine bay grounds on newer models: http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245993828 Also take a good look at all of the wiring for melted spots or rodent damage.

And, because I know someone will skim and just blurt out an answer for O2 sensors without thinking about troubleshooting, the cheapest place to get NTK - which is the OE and actually works properly - is RockAuto.com. But only if the above free stuff doesn't help you out first.

Last edited by salad; 10-28-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Before you get going with throwing money at things consider that all of those problems have electrical grounds in common. Check this out: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/ 1, 3, 4, and 5 are good places to start. It's written for the older Renix generation but most of it still applies. This page has locations of all the engine bay grounds on newer models: http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245993828 Also take a good look at all of the wiring for melted spots or rodent damage. And, because I know someone will skim and just blurt out an answer for O2 sensors without thinking about troubleshooting, the cheapest place to get NTK - which is the OE and actually works properly - is RockAuto.com. But only if the above free stuff doesn't help you out first.
Thanks I just did some investigation. Turns out I grabbed the reverse lights fuse from the block and moved it to my fog light block. I didn't count correctly. Got that all sorted out. Could that cause a check engine light? Also I've known my oxygen sensors were going bad. I've slowly seen my gas mileage drop so it's not really a big surprise. 12 years old and playing around in the mud sometimes sure didn't help the life of any of it.

Does anyone remember if the E-Fan turns on with the A/C or when the engine gets over 210. I didn't remember. So I'm just looking at oxygen sensors now. Just took apart the NSS and cleaned her up again. Everything works nice now.

Thanks guys
Old 10-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

On 2000+ the E-fan turns on at 218 degrees and when the pressure in the A/C gets to a certain point. Previous years it was a 218 or as soon as the A/C clutch was engaged.

Glad to hear you already got stuff sorted!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by salad
On 2000+ the E-fan turns on at 218 degrees and when the pressure in the A/C gets to a certain point. Previous years it was a 218 or as soon as the A/C clutch was engaged. Glad to hear you already got stuff sorted!
Alright sounds good. I put everything back together and I am leaving my battery unplugged tonight. Hopefully I won't have a CEL on in the morning. I'll be really pissed. Thanks for your help. Have a good one.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Remember the wiring on these is **** to begin. 13 years of road salt really messes things up. Good luck.