Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

MJ Conversion to 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: ?
Model: Cherokee
Default MJ Conversion to 4x4?

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in, but since the MJ and the XJ have a lot in common I figured it would be a good start.

Question......How difficult is it to convert a 2wd MJ Comanche to a 4wd? Anyone here ever done this? I found a clean MJ for sale cheap, but it's 4x2 and I would want it to be 4x4. Is this worth doing? Too costly?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

If it's a 4.0L with a clean body at an affordablke price you cant lose....

It's a bolt in job with the right parts, which are not difficult to attain at relatively cheap cost.

Have i convinced ya yet?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 PM

Year: ?

That's a good start to the convincing! Is it just a matter of finding donor parts and then just bolt them up? It can't be that easy can it?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Engine: 4.0

100% bolt in. you need a 4x4 trans and t-case, front and rear driveshafts, shift linkage, and front axle.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Tell the man what he's won Johnny!!.......

It's that easy..
Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 AM

Year: 89
Engine: straight 6

hi, first post.....wheeee!

this is what i am supposed to do (same as OP), with the parts from a cherokee my buddy dropped off. i have a MJ (just found out that is what it's called, so i am a huge jeep fan) with an AUTOMATIC. i think from what i searched it must be a AW4. the donor cherokee has a 4 speed, i think an AX4.

Looking underneath both of them next to eachother i can see there aint no way in HELL that the tx case is gonna pop off'a that 4 speed and go onto my automatic. at least not w/o some kind of adapter.

the advice above was to find a donor TRANS+TX case. so i am thinking that will be required. i was at the wreckin yard today they said that if the Adapter was a seperate piece that it would be pulled off along with the tx case as one unit so they would not sell it.

Can anybody verify that i am, in fact, going to have to change out my automatic transmission in order to get a tx case to bolt onto it??

my bud said it was "easy and everything will bolt right up" but i don't think he accounted for the difference in transmissions being critical.

i would much rather have a 2x that runs everyday as my work truck than a 4x4 project that is going to sit out in the yard for the next month or two or even longer if i gotta buy a new transmission AND tx case because it wont bolt up. my bud wanted me to get into this 4x jeep trail thing and it is fun but on the other hand, it's up to me to do ALL the work on this by myself.
Oh yeah, it was supposed to cost NOTHING TO DO. so the expense of the new trans and txcase will obviously be waaaaay more than i got.

it has good running gear tho, lower gears (3.70something vs my 3.55) and hi pinion front. it would be no prob to give it back to him minus the wheels, steering column and windshield.

is there an adapter that would make this a true bolt on so i could proceed with this 4x4 upgrade? or am i stuck with having to getta new trans.

Not hijackin the thread OP but stuff you might need to know too...maybe.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

You need a 4wd transmission.. or the mainshaft from one. Then totally disassemble your current trans and install the 4wd mainshaft.. It's easier by far to source a 4WD trans.

What year is the donor Cherokee?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM

Year: 1988 Comanche

Originally Posted by bullheimer
hi, first post.....wheeee!

this is what i am supposed to do (same as OP), with the parts from a cherokee my buddy dropped off. i have a MJ (just found out that is what it's called, so i am a huge jeep fan) with an AUTOMATIC. i think from what i searched it must be a AW4. the donor cherokee has a 4 speed, i think an AX4.

Looking underneath both of them next to eachother i can see there aint no way in HELL that the tx case is gonna pop off'a that 4 speed and go onto my automatic. at least not w/o some kind of adapter.

the advice above was to find a donor TRANS+TX case. so i am thinking that will be required. i was at the wreckin yard today they said that if the Adapter was a seperate piece that it would be pulled off along with the tx case as one unit so they would not sell it.

Can anybody verify that i am, in fact, going to have to change out my automatic transmission in order to get a tx case to bolt onto it??

my bud said it was "easy and everything will bolt right up" but i don't think he accounted for the difference in transmissions being critical.

i would much rather have a 2x that runs everyday as my work truck than a 4x4 project that is going to sit out in the yard for the next month or two or even longer if i gotta buy a new transmission AND tx case because it wont bolt up. my bud wanted me to get into this 4x jeep trail thing and it is fun but on the other hand, it's up to me to do ALL the work on this by myself.
Oh yeah, it was supposed to cost NOTHING TO DO. so the expense of the new trans and txcase will obviously be waaaaay more than i got.

it has good running gear tho, lower gears (3.70something vs my 3.55) and hi pinion front. it would be no prob to give it back to him minus the wheels, steering column and windshield.

is there an adapter that would make this a true bolt on so i could proceed with this 4x4 upgrade? or am i stuck with having to getta new trans.

Not hijackin the thread OP but stuff you might need to know too...maybe.

You can also install the front axle and keep driving the truck with the 2wd rear axle and trans untill you can find the 4x4 replacements.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM

thanks for the help. are you FOR SURE?Overland??
i hadda feeling the current trans might not work due to the fact that the transfer case shifter would have to be mounted UNDER THE SEAT SOMEWHERE...it's so frikken LONG.

well i just got back from the junkyard and they have a 87 automatic with transfer case there. he seemed to say the transfer case would bolt onto mine but if you say not, i have to go with that and, my own eyes,, bad as they are, eyeballing the tremendous length of the automatic 2 by.

they are asking for $150 each for the pair out of the 87 they have. my cherokee is an 85. yeah i could put the front end on. i am going to remove them, and the nice gold wheels, cause they match my brown truck and leave them in my yard for the time being tho. i don't have $300 right now.

i will be checking back from time to time with more questions like this no doubt, till i get this thing OFF the road. i really like the quick feedback from people who know what they are talking about. i subscribed to this thread, obviously, but it'll prolly be after i get $300 and get everything ready for the jump to 4xland. i am in construction and money is tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! whenever that happens maybe my bud will still have his long-arm kit he took off as well as some bigger tires. it sux being broke and i been this way for way too long and things aint lookin up.

Last edited by bullheimer; 04-27-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Stop...hold on to your money. Your 85 does not have the AW4 transmission. Thats 87+.

What engine do you have in your 85? 2.5 4cylinder or the 2.8 V6?

Last edited by OverlandZJ; 04-27-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:48 PM

i have no choice, i no got money.

my vehicle i am driving, the comanche, is an 88 two wheel drive with the straight six, that i WANT to make a 4x4 from the cherokee's running gear;

the donor cherokee i got given is an 85 4x4 2door, with the v-6 nobody wants and a 4 speed.

the vehicular in the junk yard i found today is an 87 4x4 cher 4 dr, with an automatic. with it's txcase.

sorry i didn't make that clear. too many stinkin vehicles in one post.

you said and i agree, i can not use the txfr case out of the 4speed rig, i have to find another automatic with ITS attached txfr case (which i did). this is where i'm at right now. none of these vehicles are going anywhere soon. my pickup is licensed and i'm driving it with a cracked-to-hell windshield and i need to keep the 85 around just for it's windshield. i was told by my same bud, hopefully correctly this time, that it will cost me about $50 for a glass company to come to my house and swap the good one into my comanche. i am pretty sure i am also going to take the front and rear axles out too. which leads me to another question!!!!! AAAAHHHH!

Do i need to take any of the drivelines from the 87 too??? or will the driveline from the 85 4sp rig fit???? my friend can and has, cut and welded drivelines.

Last edited by bullheimer; 04-27-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 89eliminator
100% bolt in. you need a 4x4 trans and t-case, front and rear driveshafts, shift linkage, and front axle.
the parts are all bolt in but dont you have to pull the transmission control unit,because i know there is a difference between the 2wd and the 4wd??
Old 04-28-2010, 10:12 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

i dont think so. i never swapped control box's.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

OK..

The 87's trans and transfer are a direct swap to the MJ. The 87 and MJ will most likely have a 3:55 ratio (4.0/auto).

Yes, grab the drivshafts from the 87 as well. You'll need the transfer shifter/linkage and bezel too.

In the 85 with V6 it probably has a 3:73 ratio which will be a slight improvement over the 3:55's if you were to run say a 30x9.5 tire. But in the end i'd go with the better axles that match.

The 2wd and 4wd TCU's are compatible.. no need to swap as Eliminator posted earlier. Iv been running my 2wd TCU for 10 years.

Originally Posted by bullheimer
i have no choice, i no got money.

my vehicle i am driving, the comanche, is an 88 two wheel drive with the straight six, that i WANT to make a 4x4 from the cherokee's running gear;

the donor cherokee i got given is an 85 4x4 2door, with the v-6 nobody wants and a 4 speed.

the vehicular in the junk yard i found today is an 87 4x4 cher 4 dr, with an automatic. with it's txcase.

sorry i didn't make that clear. too many stinkin vehicles in one post.

you said and i agree, i can not use the txfr case out of the 4speed rig, i have to find another automatic with ITS attached txfr case (which i did). this is where i'm at right now. none of these vehicles are going anywhere soon. my pickup is licensed and i'm driving it with a cracked-to-hell windshield and i need to keep the 85 around just for it's windshield. i was told by my same bud, hopefully correctly this time, that it will cost me about $50 for a glass company to come to my house and swap the good one into my comanche. i am pretty sure i am also going to take the front and rear axles out too. which leads me to another question!!!!! AAAAHHHH!

Do i need to take any of the drivelines from the 87 too??? or will the driveline from the 85 4sp rig fit???? my friend can and has, cut and welded drivelines.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 PM

thanks to all. the 85 does have 3.7:1 and i'm gowing ahead with this. although it might be a week or three till i get the scratch for the txcase and trans. i gotta put the front axle in soon because i gotta wheel bearing, (or whatever that thing is) going out.

peace out bro-ski's!

Quick Reply: MJ Conversion to 4x4?