Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Missing Fog lights..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 190 hp I6
Default Missing Fog lights..

Oh hey guyths, it's me again

When I bought my XJ, I noticed the fog lights had been removed. The little brackets are still on my bumper, and I've got the switch on my dash... what do I need to do to put new ones on? Is it a simple plug n go deal?

92 Cherokee Ltd.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Engine: 4.0

I just did that too. The old brackets were too rusted to get off so I ended up pulling off the bumper and cutting them off. Then I had to drill out the holes to mount the new lights. I was able to wire them into the old wires so I didn't need to run wires or mount a new switch. All said a 1 hour project turned into a three hour project, about normal LOL
Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

I got these from walmart for 10 dollars and mounted them to the bumper. Then ran the wires down between the bumper and the grill to where the fog light wires are. Then I striped and caped the wires together and called it a day. It's rather cheap considering 1 OEM fog light can be as much as 50 dollars. Just an idea.
Attached Thumbnails Missing Fog lights..-image-1299645882.jpg   Missing Fog lights..-image-714836257.jpg  
Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Nice idea. I might look into that.

I wouldn't care so much about the fog lights, but my headlights are so dim, I can't see a thing. I've replaced the whole bulb/cover doomahicky, but they might as well be covered in scotch tape. I need to drive with my hi beams on when on the hwy or I'm blind.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rustie
Nice idea. I might look into that.

I wouldn't care so much about the fog lights, but my headlights are so dim, I can't see a thing. I've replaced the whole bulb/cover doomahicky, but they might as well be covered in scotch tape. I need to drive with my hi beams on when on the hwy or I'm blind.
Yea, to be honest I was surprised at how bright these little walmart lights are!! They are pretty sweet, I'm happy I got them.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 PM

yea i got the walmart rectangle ones and originally placed them in the oem fog local but then trimmed my lower bumper section and placed them on top like the old skool xj lights. Same reason tho, not enough oem lighting from just the headlights. With them in the same place i had to cut just a little more than stock i believe but they looked factory when i was done. here are oem placements (1st) and now(2nd). Same pair in both setups.
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Banned

Now that's a good lookin girl

I like those roof lights as well..tell me about those?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BLACKSPORT
yea i got the walmart rectangle ones and originally placed them in the oem fog local but then trimmed my lower bumper section and placed them on top like the old skool xj lights. Same reason tho, not enough oem lighting from just the headlights. With them in the same place i had to cut just a little more than stock i believe but they looked factory when i was done. here are oem placements (1st) and now(2nd). Same pair in both setups.
I love how you trimmed that bumper! How did you do it? Can I see a pic from the side?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Year: 98-01

Harbor Freight also sells a cheap replacement. You can find 20% off coupons in most auto magazines.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Mine are the Harbor Freight 100 watt halogen and they light the road like daylight! They are $39.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:06 PM

roof lights are just walmart baja's that i mounted to a 1.25 rectangle bar i believe. Not crazy bright but they do the job when my headlights are blocked or covered in mud lol.

This is the only pic and i ended up trimming maybe 1/2 inch off the bottoms just on the sides. Obviously i also move the bumper lights further out after this pic as well.

I taped off where i wanted to cut and used a dremel and cut. Then later used a razor blade to cut the small amount the second time. The blade goes quick but you have to be pacient/carefull cause it is easier to get off track with it than the dremel.
Attached Images  

Last edited by BLACKSPORT; 01-09-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 PM

Trimmed my bumper the same way. Took the skirt off the metal bumper and used a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to remove the skirt of the plastic bumper ends. Makes it look a little higher and clean. I attached a set of square fog lights to the top of the bumper as well. Make sure you know the black wire is your hot wire and the blue is your ground.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks guys, I'll trim mine in the spring when it's warmer out.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OOdynamite
I got these from walmart for 10 dollars and mounted them to the bumper. Then ran the wires down between the bumper and the grill to where the fog light wires are. Then I striped and caped the wires together and called it a day. It's rather cheap considering 1 OEM fog light can be as much as 50 dollars. Just an idea.

Nicely done- I think I'm going to do the same. How did you end up mounting to the bumper? I thinking a quick way would be a small pieces of rubber and self tappers. Curious about how you did it. they look great.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by breakthecycle128

Nicely done- I think I'm going to do the same. How did you end up mounting to the bumper? I thinking a quick way would be a small pieces of rubber and self tappers. Curious about how you did it. they look great.
Thanks. The lights came with mounting brackets and hardware to mount it with. I didn't use the bolt and lug it came with because I couldn't get my hand behind the bumper to tighten the lug. So I drilled pilot holes and used sheet metal screws and an impact hammer to mount the light mounts to the bumper. Then put the lights on the mounts, run the wires between the bumper and grill, and run them to the factory fog light wire. And make sure you know that on the factory fog light wires, the green is ground and black is positive! Hope that helped

Quick Reply: Missing Fog lights..