Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Misfire no codes HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Misfire no codes HELP!

My 2001 Cherokee has a misfire! I don’t know what cylinder but it won’t throw a code. I’ve hooked up a scanner and can’t see that it’s reading anything that seems off! I replaced the headgasket on it and put it all back together and now I have this issue! New spark plugs and all the ground wires are hooked up! Any one have suggestions? It also won’t idle at first so I hold the gas and let it idle up alittle and wait for it to start to get warm and it will eventually idle but after it’s warm and I put it in drive you can feel the miss when your sitting there but not while driving! I’m lost on this!
Old 01-26-2020, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee

I’m thinking maybe an O2 sensor issue or spark plug related. But the fact that you changed the head gasket makes me wonder if it’s related to that. Most likely the problem with it not idling on its own right away is a common sign of a weak battery or poor connection somewhere in the starting/charging wiring. It could be a poor connection to the battery terminal or at a grounding point.

Again. There are a lot of factors that could be the result of something that isn’t correct after the head replacement. I would just start with checking/cleaning/tightening the battery terminals and related grounds. Test the battery as well. It may be shot now. And then of coarse there’s the issue of the 0331 head.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 369 Likes on 329 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Luke underwood
I don’t know what cylinder but it won’t throw a code.
Disconnect each fuel injector wire till you find it.

Did you look under "Pending Codes"?
Old 01-27-2020, 04:20 AM

I changed the battery and the stall and idle issue is gone it did keep missing but then I drive a mile or two then stopped and put it in park to let idle and it wasn’t missing as bad but seem like it still had a little bit of a stutter or cough! If that makes since? Maybe I fixed the issue and it just needed to clean out and drive it some more or I have a o2 going out?
Old 01-27-2020, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dave51
Disconnect each fuel injector wire till you find it.

Did you look under "Pending Codes"?
There are not pending codes what so ever!
Old 07-23-2022, 09:04 PM

Did you ever find this problem? I am having a very similar issue. Overheated... pulled head.. changed gasket... checked for cracks thoroughly.. didn't see any. Engine is missing and shuddering at idle but seems to run find at higher speeds.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:39 PM

Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Luke underwood
My 2001 Cherokee has a misfire! I don’t know what cylinder but it won’t throw a code. I’ve hooked up a scanner and can’t see that it’s reading anything that seems off! I replaced the headgasket on it and put it all back together and now I have this issue! New spark plugs and all the ground wires are hooked up! Any one have suggestions? It also won’t idle at first so I hold the gas and let it idle up alittle and wait for it to start to get warm and it will eventually idle but after it’s warm and I put it in drive you can feel the miss when your sitting there but not while driving! I’m lost on this!
I also did my head gasket on a 2001 Jeep Cherokee and encountered the same issue, I haven't fixed it yet so I can't be of much help but I have ruled out the cam sensor, ignition system and fuel. Let me know if you find out the issue.