Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Melted Resistor By Drivers Side Tail Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Melted Resistor By Drivers Side Tail Light

A few days ago I noticed a burning/melting smell in my 95 Cherokee. In addition to the smell, the amber blinker lights were stuck on. they weren't blinking, they were just glowing at about half luminosity. Even with the key out of the ignition they stayed on so I had to unplug the battery.

I pulled out all of the interior because I'm replacing the floor anyway. In the back near the tail light (drivers side) There is a block with three relays on it. one of them was completely melted down along with the piece it plugs into.
The whole thing was inside a soaking wet block of foam. I'm thinking just the water was the cause of the melt down and I could just replace the whole thing and fix the whole where the water came in. The problem is that I have no idea how to get the part that holds the three relays.

The strange thing is that I cut the wires that went to the melted relay and the lights stopped glowing yet everything still works! I checked the tail lights, blinkers, reverse lights, and brake lights.

I'm not totally comfortable with just taping off the wires and using it as is so does anyone know what part this is and how I can get it?

You can see in the picture that two relays remain but the third is completely melted away.
Attached Thumbnails Melted Resistor By Drivers Side Tail Light-img_2858.jpg