Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Mechanic screwed up or just bad luck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry Mechanic screwed up or just bad luck?

I admit i'm no mechanic but I'm not totally without knowledge. Anyway, I ended up sending my XJ off to the shop.

Went in for all 4 shocks, coil springs, muffler and tailpipe, power steering and water pumps, sway bar end links and a new drivers side seat.

First thing I noticed when I got it back was alot of "pounding" and "scraping" noises, death wobble to beat hell at 40-45 mph, belt noise and a TON on power steering fluid leaking.

After crawling underneath I'm pretty sure they totally ****ed up the exhaust install. First off, the muffler sits at an angle ... front of it is about 2 inches lower than it is in the back. Can't say i've ever had a vehicle with a properly installed muffler that sat at that kind of an angle. Just looks weird to me.

The tailpipe has a hanger, welded bar type (not sure what there actually called) that's put on in a way that its pressed hard against my rear shock. Doesn't seem normal to me. Also, the tailpipe goes straight back to the axle - loops up over and then down behind until finally going out past the bumper. My axle keeps hitting the top of that loop ... hard. I only see two points of support on the whole damn exhaust system, one way up in front of the cat. and the welded bar back near the shocks and that doesn't seem like enough to me.

The "death wobble" or so i've heard it called happens only between 40 and 45 mph and shakes violently ... perfectly smooth other than that speed range. I read a lot on here about the various reasons for DW and I'm still not sure what to make of it with all things considered.

As far as the fluid goes ... thats one of the problems I wanted fixed. Power steering fluid tank was cracked and leaking bad. Could have done just the tank but it was only about $30 more to do both. They used a worm screw clamp to put on the hose coming out of the bottom of the tank and didnt tighten it enough, or so I thought. Turns out the hose itself is split just behind that clamp and spraying fluid into the fan of all places. It's a new hose.

The new seat was fine until I went to vaccum and moved the rear floor mat. Hidden underneath I see how he attached the seat. He tightened one of the bolts down onto a pair of vise grips! What in gods name would make someone think thats an acceptable way of installing a seat? Seriously. Guess I know what that $10 charge for "shop supplies" was.

Not really sure what to do about all this. I'm about out of cash now that I dumped over $1100 into it. I've got alot more problems now than before I sunk all that money into it. The mechanic claims "everything is perfectly normal", there "aren't any issues other than the split hose" which "isn't his problem" and "it'll cost me" if I want him to fix any of these new problems. Though he was more than happy to put a new inspection sticker on it for me.

Anyone have any advice (other than finding a new mechanic, lol) or think something isn't right here? Maybe I'm just over reacting but $1100 isn't exactly pocket change for me.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

I'm to lazy to read that. Cliff notes please
Old 05-27-2010, 03:43 PM

lol just ranting mostly ... took it the shop ... new PS pump w/ hoses, hoses split and spraying into fan ... DW at 40-45 ... new seat bolted down onto a pair vise grips, new tailpipe pressing hard against shocks. $1100 later I've got more problems than I started with.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

First I would drive back to that shop and tell them that you are not happy and tell them that they should make it right speak to the owner if he give a damn he should make it right.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

1. tail pipe is installed wrong. the welded hanger at the rear should sit in a piece of rubber shaped like a diamond. There isn't a hanger in the middle , but one can easily be fashioned by you to level out your muffler. There should be a hanger right before the exhaust tip, next to your gas tank.
2. if he replaced the PS hose and tightened to much so that it split, his fault, his cost to replace the hose and anything else the leaking fluid may have ruined.
3. The seat is a possible lawsuit on the shop's hands if you were to get hurt in an accident due to faulty installment. have 'em do it right and take it somewhere else to be inspected if they say it'll pass. If not, take it back, they fix it on their dime so it will.
4. Lastly, get it all in writing. without this, you're screwed.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade
Default screwed....

Sorry for your luck. Get the mechanic's name and number and confront him about what is wrong with your vehicle. BY LAW he is required to fix these issues that have come about after he has worked on it. This guys sounds like a screw job at best. If he keeps denying it and says that he doesn't have to fix then contact the Better Business Bureau around your area. They will let you know what to do about getting your money back and making sure this guy does not do this to someone else. Sorry about your luck man.

On another note... the hose ends should not be clamped... they can fail at the pressures power steering can operate at.

The steering sound like something might have been tweaked or come loose ( maybe by him? ) Take a look at your connection under there and try to tighten them up.

I would see about trying to get the seat fixed right some other time as long as it is mounted strong.... that said IMOP I would get that fixed quick also.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by catatonyc
lol just ranting mostly ... took it the shop ... new PS pump w/ hoses, hoses split and spraying into fan ... DW at 40-45 ... new seat bolted down onto a pair vise grips, new tailpipe pressing hard against shocks. $1100 later I've got more problems than I started with.
the new hose is split? thats probably there fault.

and if you didnt have DW when you went in, but you do now, then they need to check it out.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
First I would drive back to that shop and tell them that you are not happy and tell them that they should make it right speak to the owner if he give a damn he should make it right.

Of the 6 guys that work there it happened to be the OWNER of the place that worked on my Jeep. Dealt with him for everything and i've been back 3 times looking even just for answers and he wants nothing to do with it. Sounds like you'd agree that being pissed is about right though.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by N20jeep
the new hose is split? thats probably there fault.

and if you didnt have DW when you went in, but you do now, then they need to check it out.
Ya, only problems I had before going in were actually the leaking PS fluid tank, water pump was going, and a broken seat back. Split hose, DW, and what seem like exhaust issues to me are all new issues. He did check it out when I went back the first time but like I said he claims theres nothing wrong ... although he ALSO says that he'll fix those issues that aren't there for a price. Clearly there ARE problems that need to be fixed and he's just looking for more cash.

Any idea what the DW might be? I can replace a hose, hang the exhaust better and remove the vise grips but I don't know what to do about that.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
On another note... the hose ends should not be clamped... they can fail at the pressures power steering can operate at.
This might be a dumb question ... how else would I attach the hose to the tank? I'm going to try and tackle these problems since I can't these guys to do anything.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to file against them asap!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

I would take it to another shop.. have est done to repair of fix what ever... then take to another one and do same.... then take the recipt ? you do have a recipt for the work ? make copys of all 3 and send to better business bureo. then take back and tell them to fix what you paid for.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L

Yeah, i just got screwed by a shop too. Asked em to do $140 of repairs, then they went ahead and did over $400 without my permission. BBB, here i come!! I recommend you do the same!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by catatonyc
Ya, only problems I had before going in were actually the leaking PS fluid tank, water pump was going, and a broken seat back. Split hose, DW, and what seem like exhaust issues to me are all new issues. He did check it out when I went back the first time but like I said he claims theres nothing wrong ... although he ALSO says that he'll fix those issues that aren't there for a price. Clearly there ARE problems that need to be fixed and he's just looking for more cash.

Any idea what the DW might be? I can replace a hose, hang the exhaust better and remove the vise grips but I don't know what to do about that.

I would take photos, and like mentioned above contact the BBB. They are great ppl normally and will help you out, They have helped me out in the past...

and do you want pictures of how the Exhaust should be mounted? I have pictures, and i can get some pictures of the proper way to mount a PS pump hose
Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

DUDE! I've been a mechainc for 30 years and I tell you right now that this is not right and you have rights. You must report this to the BBB in your area and not let this continue any further. This type of workmanship is un called for. ......I have worked with some hackers in my day, and I called out each one. They make the good mechanics look bad and that pisses me off.

Quick Reply: Mechanic screwed up or just bad luck?