Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Manual Transmission Grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Manual Transmission Grinding?

Hey there, just bought my first xj and have been doing some fine tweaking. One of may main concerns when driving it is that the tranny is exceptionally loud. I understand that it is an 88 and noise is expected. I just want to know if there is anything I should worry about with it? it shifts fine and drives fine, just wondering if the whining while driving is an issue? Also when the clutch is engaged it makes a small grinding noise, I read on another forum that it is common, but people also said it could be the throwout bearing? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:02 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6

My understanding is that the AX-15 is sensitive to what oil you put in it. Most people that I’ve seen recommend Redline MT-90. You might want to check the level too.

I had my AX-15 rebuilt and it is a shade loud. My expectation is that it’s because of the new gears wearing in and they probably just used some random oil in it. I have a bottle on MT-90 that I’m going to put in there after I wear it in to 1000 miles or so. Guess I’ll see what happens.

As for th grind, how loud is that? It’s it really a grind? Or more of a rattle? Could be a throwout bearing.

-T.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Just to be clear - when you say clutch is engaged you mean "when you're pushing the pedal down", right?
If the grinding sound happens when you have your foot on the pedal and goes away when your foot is off the pedal, then yes, it's probably a noisy throw-out bearing.

Could you describe the "exceptionally loud" when driving? Is this grinding or like someone recently described "sounds like a finely tuned Turbine engine"?
Is this a constant sound - in other words, it's about the same in any gear and might vary with RPMS - OR is the sound isolated to one or another specific gear and varies dramatically or stops depending on what gear you're in?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Thernlund
My understanding is that the AX-15 is sensitive to what oil you put in it. Most people that I’ve seen recommend Redline MT-90. You might want to check the level too.

I had my AX-15 rebuilt and it is a shade loud. My expectation is that it’s because of the new gears wearing in and they probably just used some random oil in it. I have a bottle on MT-90 that I’m going to put in there after I wear it in to 1000 miles or so. Guess I’ll see what happens.

As for th grind, how loud is that? It’s it really a grind? Or more of a rattle? Could be a throwout bearing.

-T.
id say it is more of a grinding noise yes. how intensive is the bearing repair?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:06 PM
CF Veteran

Like Thernland said - the MT90 is GREAT gear oil for your AX15. It's pricey but worth the money.
​​​​​​​I'm using it in mine and I love it.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Just to be clear - when you say clutch is engaged you mean "when you're pushing the pedal down", right?
If the grinding sound happens when you have your foot on the pedal and goes away when your foot is off the pedal, then yes, it's probably a noisy throw-out bearing.

Could you describe the "exceptionally loud" when driving? Is this grinding or like someone recently described "sounds like a finely tuned Turbine engine"?
Is this a constant sound - in other words, it's about the same in any gear and might vary with RPMS - OR is the sound isolated to one or another specific gear and varies dramatically or stops depending on what gear you're in?
yes, engaged as in pushing the pedal down, and is that a difficult repair? and yes id say like a turbine engine type of noise, and its not specific to a certain gear.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:07 PM

Like Thernland said - the MT90 is GREAT gear oil for your AX15. It's pricey but worth the money.
​​​​​​​I'm using it in mine and I love it.
ill have to give it a shot when I put some work in on it this weekend, thanks!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

The throw-out bearing (and pilot bearing too) are replaced during a typical clutch job. If you're replacing the TOB you will want to get a full clutch set (under $100 for a decent one) and replace the TOB, pilot bearing, disc and pressure plate.

It's a big job, there's no way around it - you have to pull the tranny back from the engine. A shop might charge several hundred bucks for the labor.

You can do it yourself and even buying a tranny jack will cost maybe $300 total.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:14 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I’m the one that made the “turbine” comment in another thread. That sound is probably fine.

Agree with PatHenry... big job on that TOB. Doable, but laborious to be sure.

-T.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:16 PM

Talking

The throw-out bearing (and pilot bearing too) are replaced during a typical clutch job. If you're replacing the TOB you will want to get a full clutch set (under $100 for a decent one) and replace the TOB, pilot bearing, disc and pressure plate.

It's a big job, there's no way around it - you have to pull the tranny back from the engine. A shop might charge several hundred bucks for the labor.

You can do it yourself and even buying a tranny jack will cost maybe $300 total.
good to go, it sounds like something I am not suited for haha. I have a good shop out in town I usually go to that works a lot with older vehicles, I'm going to take it for a quote tomorrow. Thanks a lot guys!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

I'd start with changing your tranny fluid to MT90 - that's only a bit harder than an oil change and will cost you roughly $60 (A gallon of MT90 is about $50 on amazon and a fluid pump that attaches to the bottle is like $10)

My TOB has been noisy for the last 6m and will be noisy for a couple more until I have a weekend to do the clutch job.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:18 PM

Old 04-02-2018, 11:19 PM

Talking

I'd start with changing your tranny fluid to MT90 - that's only a bit harder than an oil change and will cost you roughly $60 (A gallon of MT90 is about $50 on amazon and a fluid pump that attaches to the bottle is like $10)

My TOB has been noisy for the last 6m and will be noisy for a couple more until I have a weekend to do the clutch job.
okay that's not too bad, I gave myself a budget of 900 to fix a couple kinks, so far I'm only 80 into it. I will give the fluid a shot next weekend!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Is that hood ornament legal?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:22 PM

Is that hood ornament legal?
hhaha oh yeah! anyone on here ever head out to anza Borrego??

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Grinding?