Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Manual or Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Manual or Auto Transmission

Hey all,
I'm looking to buy either a 98 or 99 XJ. Both are pretty much identical, except that the 98 has a manual transmission and the 99 is auto. My wife and I tend to prefer manual transmissions and are leaning that direction, but I'd like to get some input. Is there any history on these transmissions to know which is more reliable? Also, this vehicle will primarily be a DD but I will definitely be driving into the mountains for fly fishing and a bit of horseplay. Are there any reasons to choose one transmission over another or is it simply personal preference?

Thanks again,
s
Old 12-04-2008, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I'd call it personal preference. I would have loved to have found a MT, but it seems that ATs are preferred by many for off roading. They both hold up fine in the long run. The AT requires more routine maintenance.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM

I've got a 94 with the 5-speed and I've had no problems at all, currently 160,000 miles. The clutch can be a little heavy, but overall I have nothing but good things to say about the manual. Also, I've priced clutch kits and they're inexpensive, less than $200.00, so replacing the clutch isn't an overwhelming repair cost.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Oh. One more thing. Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to pop the hood so I can't trace the hoses, but the Jeep with the automatic has an additional radiator type cooler up front. I don't know how to determine whether it is for the oil or tranny and I know absolutely nothing about these coolers at all. The jeeps are prety much stock, so I wouldn't think it was an aftermarket accessory. Do Automatic transmissions run hotter than the manuals? I am so clueless about this.

s
Old 12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

If you go with the auto, you should deff get an aftermarket trans cooler installed. although i think most do come stock with coolers, an aftermarket one will work better to cool your auto trans. As anyone will tell you heat kills transmissions faster than anything. The only thing i can complain about the stick, is after going on a few few wheeling trips in the mud, there is a slight creaking noise when i press the clutch pedal in. but i have an idea to fix that. I like the control of the manual off road, and the fun of driving it day to day. Another thing about the manual trans Jeeps, If you go with bigger tires, you will notice a much bigger drop in acceleration over an auto because of the gearing in the axles. the 4.0l manuals have the 3.07, and the autos have a 3.55 and possibly one more option. so the auto trans guys dont feel the effect of bigger tires till they get into the 33's and above. I have 31's and the Jeep is a DOG on the highway, but i have 4.10's on the way

sorry for the long winded response. I hope it helps
Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

i have a 89 xj 95 xj both with automatic transmissions so im almost completely sure that is a tranny cooler infront of your rad, thats what it is on both mine. my 89 has had one tranny replaced and i think i just blew 4th gear in the current one, this is probably cuz this jeep has 456000 k on it and has seen some serious action not to mention ill treatment by previos owners grrr. My 95 has yet to give me trouble with the tranny such as catastrophic faliure. Manual transmissions are generally less complicated and cheaper and easier to fix should they break.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Year: 1995

My XJ has the AT and my TJ has MT, both 4.0. Offroad, I prefer the MT in my TJ, I like the lower gear for more controll going down steep inclines. Plus I like the easier upkeep, I feel more confident about replacing a clutch in an MT than I do diagnosing at problems. I don't know how different my 95 XJ's At would be from the one you are looking at though.

For an AT though I can't realy complain about my XJ though.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4L

Welll... which one is cheaper? which one is in better shape?? thats how i would decide.. because both at and mt are good...
Old 12-04-2008, 12:04 PM

Year: 1995

Good point. That's how chose for my XJ even though I prefer manual, I went for the auto because it was in better shape and better price. I'm a die hard manual transmission advocate, and I'm happy with it.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:59 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have a 98 with a automatic in it at close to 160K miles. As long as your willing to commit to more maintenance the automatic is a very nice transmission for daily driving. and wheeling. That said, I would have liked to have found a standard tranny during my Jeep hunt but I'm more than satisfied with the rig I wound up with.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Year: 1999

The automatic transmissions in all years of the XJ are known as the Aisin Warner 4-Speed (AW4). They're commonly found behind a lot of Toyota's (I believe from the early 90's models) and are pretty much bullet proof (much like the 4.0 ). They can take a lot of abuse that most other AT's can't. The biggest thing is to make sure you put the correct fluid back in when it comes time for a fluid and filter change (they're quite picky about their fluid)

It's really personal preference. The Manual's are just as reliable. There are some days I wish I had a MT (especially after driving one a few weeks ago), but every time I go off road or get stuck in a traffic jam, i'm glad to have my AW4.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Originally Posted by UNCC_99XJ
The automatic transmissions in all years of the XJ are known as the Aisin Warner 4-Speed (AW4). They're commonly found behind a lot of Toyota's (I believe from the early 90's models) and are pretty much bullet proof (much like the 4.0 ). They can take a lot of abuse that most other AT's can't. The biggest thing is to make sure you put the correct fluid back in when it comes time for a fluid and filter change (they're quite picky about their fluid)

It's really personal preference. The Manual's are just as reliable. There are some days I wish I had a MT (especially after driving one a few weeks ago), but every time I go off road or get stuck in a traffic jam, i'm glad to have my AW4.

Not true... After 1987(included) all US/Canada Cherokees used the AW-4. 84-86 used the Chrysler A904, and export models had several different trannies.

But the AW-4 is an EXTREMELY stout transmission, they will take quite the punishment without problems. Just make absolutely sure to keep it filled with Dex III tranny fluid and dont let the fluid get burnt,

The AX-15(the manual used behind the 4.0l after 89) is also a VERY good transmission. Very durable and a great unit as long as it is cared for properly.. Remember to use GL-2,3 or 4(if you have to) rated fluids. GL-5 is corrosive to yellow metals and the AX-15 contains bronze synchro rings.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4L

WHOEY, good info !
Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by whowey
Not true... After 1987(included) all US/Canada Cherokees used the AW-4. 84-86 used the Chrysler A904, and export models had several different trannies.

But the AW-4 is an EXTREMELY stout transmission, they will take quite the punishment without problems. Just make absolutely sure to keep it filled with Dex III tranny fluid and dont let the fluid get burnt,

The AX-15(the manual used behind the 4.0l after 89) is also a VERY good transmission. Very durable and a great unit as long as it is cared for properly.. Remember to use GL-2,3 or 4(if you have to) rated fluids. GL-5 is corrosive to yellow metals and the AX-15 contains bronze synchro rings.
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Some of the manual trans XJs with a tow package had other gears.. 3.73s

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto Transmission