Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Make it look good

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Make it look good

Ok, so I wanna dress up my '91 Laredo and make her shine (and no none of that gangbanger crap with chrome on every square inch and the whole... you know what I mean). First off, I'm having the old Maroon paintjob redone in black and the fenders and siding done in a charcoal-silver. Im getting a new chrome/black (like the stock) grille because the old one has broken. Then I'm getting the engine yanked out, cleaned, and then the block painted red. Now, heres one question: I cant decide if I should paint the valve cover gloss black or have it chromed (Im more on the side of gloss black with the fins painted chrome..can probably do this one myself.) Then I'm building a custom cold air intake. For this, I have a q. I have seen CAI witht he cone filter down where the old box was, and I have seen some with the filter up towards the windshield..Any ideas on what works best? Finally, Im having the dash rebuilt (keepin it stock, but makin it shine and adding a few extras), new seatbelts (the old ones are torn.. redneck repaired them with a lighter ), and having new uphoalstry put in since..well.. when I bought it It was kinda gone. Im also putting fog lights on the brushgaurd in front (I need help with this two..how do I wire these up to have a switch??) Thanks for everything guys. I know its a mouthfull, but Im excited and I wanted some fellow input.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

I painted my Valve cover with VHT it worked great. no use having it chromed.

The CAI, Put it down as close to the grille as possible to get cool air. the reason for the filter near the cowl is strickly to keep it away from water when off road.

If you get a kit from the auto parts store it will come with a crappy switch and a wiring harness you can follow it and pick up a new switch at radio shack for a couple bucks...

HTH good luck
Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Go gloss black on the valve cover, with the chrome fins as you described. That would look great I think, especially if you detailed everything else under there as well. And is far as the cowl intake goes, just putting the filter near the grill under your hood won't be a cold air intake unless you isolate the filter from the underhood temps with some kind of heat shield. The cowl intake idea was originally devised to prevent water from getting to the intake, but it also allows the filter access to constant cool airflow from the cowl. I plan on doing this for the water protection, and also for the benefits of the cold air induction. As far as your fog lights go, here is a wiring diagram:

You should always use a relay when wiring lights up. It's just safer. I used this method x4 when I built my relay box for my accessories, has worked flawlessly for over a year. Good luck with beautifying your XJ!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

You need to find a factory fog light switch... junk yards got a few here and there....
Mine is black with silver/gray trim... love it...
Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a nice look that will be shape. Then sand down the fines or lines on top with 150 grite sand paper and use it till the paper is smooth and then use a 1,000 grite paper. Then get some mothers mag polish and buff the fines tell they shine!(old socks inside out works great.) Then pant it all Black let it dry and use a razer blade to run over the fines and it will take the black off and have that shine run a clean sock on the fines. I did many valve covers for cars this way. It is worth the time and not that many people does this.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

depending on the state, that schematic for the fog lights might not pass inspection. in VA the fog lights have to go off when high beams are on.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

I dont do any real 4 wheeling (at least not until all the engine components needing replaced are replaced), so I dont really have to worry about water in the intake do I? I was considering trimming the lower portion of the air filter box to mount the cone on, and then a heat shield to the right to keep the air cool from the grille. Also, I have a switch on my dash, to the left of the rear defrost button (pic below; the white switch.. no clue what it does)

Make it look good-100_0195.jpg

Thanks for all the advice everyone
Old 04-04-2010, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Also, on the custom Cold Air Intake idea, I considered mounting a small fan at the front of the cone that acts as a puller to yank in some of that fresh cool air from the grille. Sound practicle? All I need to figure out is how to wire the little guy to turn on and stay on when I start the beast up.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

does anyone know what that switch is for?? Or how would I find out???
Old 04-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
does anyone know what that switch is for?? Or how would I find out???
It is hard to say what it does. Some one put that in. Just trace down the wires to see were they go.

The factory switch is just to turn it on or off when the key is on. You can go to a junk yard to find a factory one and get the the wire plug too. Its just for a factory look.

For the Fan- I don't know if it will work that good. If you just want more fresh air and don't play in the water. All you need to do is make a scoop to funner more air in.

For the wiring if you just want the light on when the key is on just find a hot when the key is on and run it to a relay.

Last edited by kyle87xj; 04-09-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4l intake,headers exhaust,

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Also, I have a switch on my dash, to the left of the rear defrost button (pic below; the white switch.. no clue what it does)

Attachment 16265

Thanks for all the advice everyone
i might be off base but im gonna give this one a shot.. my 1987 xj had a switch in that location.. it was a power mode type thingy.. it basically locked up the tourqe converter for when you needed it.. im not sure what yr they stopped puttin them in .. im not very good at explaining this so let me refer you to go jeep he shows how to install one on his website
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoSwitch.htm

then again i could be totally wrong..and the previous owner had wired in some lights or somthing ..

i also have a a switch on my current jeep in the same location ,, the switch turns off my electric fans for when i am going deep..

i think the only way your gonna know is to pull the switch out and see where the wires go..

Last edited by gasman; 04-09-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-10-2010, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

ahh well, anyway Im getting a Baja Fog Light kit soon, and it comes with its own (nicer, more stock looking) switch and wiring harness, so maybe that old switch can just be pulled out.. Im still gonna see what it runs to though
Old 04-10-2010, 06:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The factory wired fog lights, Is thru the head lights (their on with low beams only) I put H4 bulbs in mine (5000k hyper white). To match the Headlights, When I converted them. When there both on, There's a lot light thrown out. And yes, '91 had a tranny power/comfort switch. Mine's located on the right side off steering column. (only changes the shifting point slightly, for towing). As for your switch, I'd chase it down, and is where it goes. Somebody put some effort into it. For some reason.