Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Major Electrical Issue/Gremlin

Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Major Electrical Issue/Gremlin

Ok, so i have a 91 XJ, and i replaced the Turn Signal Switch, yet things still do not work properly.

When I use my turn signal either left or right, my cig lighter outlet flashes power (have a Sirius Radio pluged in there). Also, both arrows and the bright light indicator in the dash are lit up when power is turned on in the jeep. HOwever, when I turn the signal on either left or right, it lights up brighter in the dash and turns on and stays on outside....then after a very long time will bling once...then stay on solid for long time again....then blink once as if was a VERY slow blinker relay. Here's the next kicker to my gremlin, my head lights will not work AT ALL!! When I turn them on, the dash lights come on and the turn signal & bright light indicators brighten inside, yet nothing happens outside.

Is there some sort of computer issue here? Or maybe even a small processor under the dash? I ask this because if I manually operate the turn signal (not clicking it all the way) I hear a click under the dash just above my right knee. I've never heard this before or never paid any attention because everything worked accordingly until Monday of this past week.

Somebody give me some help please.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry Update......

Ok, so I did some more and more and more tracing and digging, even replaced the "blinker" fuse in my fuse block.

Here's what I have now.

Turn Signals work properly outside (as well as the hazard flasher) however inside the dash, both arrows blink when only one signal is being used and the bright light indicator still flashes along with the turn signals. And I have NO HEADLIGHTS.

I'm going to take a guess here that i have a ground issue as this seems to be the normal answer thru all the post I've been reading. It just boggles my mind. Parking lights work, brake lights work, turn signals all work outside like they should. Yet no headlights and both signals and bright light indicator flash inside.

Anyone know of where the common point these ground would be? I've already got just over $30 in trial parts to only find out it's not the parts.