Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

main hardware problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Default main hardware problem

I have a 1991 jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4. I have been dealing with my jeep not charging for over a year now and charging battery every other day is getting old. The alternator is good. Had it tested twice over last year. As you know it has external regulator on alternator so I had an after market external regulator from gmc wired into it. Charged for 2 days then quit again. About 2 weeks ago I went and got a new computer for it because sometimes gas gauge doesn't work and check engine light has been on since I rebuilt it 2 years ago. I sunk it about 3 years ago on my land and was almost to top of fender weel. Had to leave it over night this why had to rebuild it. New motor tranny. Transfer case was good still though. New front and rearend also. This why took so long to rebuild. I have replaced the ground wires. If I take the wires for external regulator off the alternator and let it set then hook back up and its like resets itself but then it goes all the way to over charging. It will stay like that for a few days over charging then will quit again when ever it feels like it lol. I swear it has mind of its own like most 4x4 I do believe. I have done everything I can think of besides new wiring harness and that aint gonna happen if can keep from it. I know was long read but if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I can send pics of how regulator is hooked up if I need too. Thanks
Old 02-06-2016, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by David B. Gooch
I have a 1991 jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4. I have been dealing with my jeep not charging for over a year now and charging battery every other day is getting old. The alternator is good. Had it tested twice over last year. As you know it has external regulator on alternator so I had an after market external regulator from gmc wired into it. Charged for 2 days then quit again. About 2 weeks ago I went and got a new computer for it because sometimes gas gauge doesn't work and check engine light has been on since I rebuilt it 2 years ago. I sunk it about 3 years ago on my land and was almost to top of fender weel. Had to leave it over night this why had to rebuild it. New motor tranny. Transfer case was good still though. New front and rearend also. This why took so long to rebuild. I have replaced the ground wires. If I take the wires for external regulator off the alternator and let it set then hook back up and its like resets itself but then it goes all the way to over charging. It will stay like that for a few days over charging then will quit again when ever it feels like it lol. I swear it has mind of its own like most 4x4 I do believe. I have done everything I can think of besides new wiring harness and that aint gonna happen if can keep from it. I know was long read but if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I can send pics of how regulator is hooked up if I need too. Thanks
Bad battery? Especially after so many discharge/recharge cycles.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:48 PM

Year: 1991

Actually have 3 batteries I have to cycle to as its all I have to drive right now But did about 6 months ago bought a brand new one and it didn't help any at all unfortunately that's why I decided to have alternator checked again. My dad and I are both completely stumped on it