Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

magic smoke and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default magic smoke and stalling

Last week while I was moving, I was about 15 minutes down the highway and I noticed a little whisp of smoke coming from the steering column (about as much smoke as an idle cigarette). It smoked for a second, stopped smoking after it caught my attention, started smoking again, and then the Jeep stalled (lights remained on, blinkers still worked, but tach read 0 and the radio turned off). So I coasted onto the shoulder, and ran around like a headless chicken for a minute, and pulled out my seatbelt/lights buzzer (the PO had removed it, maybe he removed it because it's annoying as hell, and maybe he removed it because it caused fires...). I cranked the motor over and it fired right up, and didnt give me any guff for over 400 miles.

At the time of the magic smoke I had the subwoofer taken out, the AC and lights on, and the buzzer installed.

I started thinking about it, and I was hoping either the buzzer's circuit had a short (the "seatbelt unfastened" light is always on when it is in), or maybe the remote wire to my amp had grounded on something...

That was until today, when the jeep stalled out (blinkers still working, radio turned off, tach at 0) while I was sitting on an offramp. I put it in P and it turned right back on when I cranked it. It then stalled about 200 yards later while driving, and again turned right back on when I cranked it. it behaved the rest of the day (over 100 miles later). I did not notice smoke today, but I was smoking a cig and had the windows down, so...

Today, the woofer was installed, and the buzzer was already removed.

Any ideas? How hard is the ignition switch to get to? Will I need a new set of keys for a new ignition switch, or can I reuse the lock/cylinder? Anyone know where I can see some GOOD electrical prints?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 AM

Year: 1993

You have an intermittent short for sure. Removing the wiring and lock isn't too hard. Rent a steering wheel puller from autozone and have at it. Usually the wiring in columns breaks and shorts where the the pivot point is for the tilt.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:32 AM

Year: 1995

Do I have to remove the steering wheel? I am kinda nervous about removing the airbag... I'm sorta worried that either it'll go off in my face while removing it and knock a tooth out, or it wont go off when I need it, also resulting in loss of teeth...
Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM

Year: 1993

You do have to pull the wheel to get at the internal parts. It isn't a huge deal, and the bag won't blow up in your face during removal. Just unhook the battery and press the brake pedal to discharge any residual voltage in the system. As for it working when done, just make sure to plug it back in. Air bags are powerful, but nothing to be feared.