Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Low Oil Pressure

Well since I bought my waggie almost a year ago now I have suffered from the low pressure blues. It idled pretty steady at 20 PSI and would drop down to around 15 after driving around for a while.

One day when I was bored I popped the vavle coer off just to have a look and found some nasty crud.

So I figured my problem was a just crud clogged all through the system. And probably still has a lot of crud through out. But before I start dropping a no leak oil pan and rear main. I went to autozone today and said the heck with it and picked up a 15 dollar oil pressure switch.

Took out the old one and plugged up the new one and WOO HOO 40 psi right off the bat.

I am relieved I don't have to do all the extra work just yet. Granted it needs to be done eventually just to clean it all out but hoping i can get by for awhile like this.

Low Oil Pressure = change the switch out first!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

or u can be like me. when i was PCS'n from mass to florida my oil presser switch went and was shoting oil every wear. but i didnt kno where it was coming form when i was on the road. so i ended up domping about 6 galons of oil into the jeep just to **** it out. did that for i think it was 400-500 miles... that was a fun trip.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Ewww. Man, I wish you would stop showing that pic.
Everytime i see it, it makes me sick.

J/K

Well actually it does. Ya know what I mean.

Come to think of it, you described EXACTLY what out 91 has been doing.
Maybe I should check into a new pressure switch.

Hmmm
Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

i replaced my switch when i got my xj. did you find that cleaning your valve cover helped pressure or was it like a "peace of mind" thing? im burning oil and looking for answers.. l
Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Well I had a small leak in the rear of the valve cover so I wanted to replace the gasket and that is when I found the sludge so I cleaned out cause it was well NASTY lol. I figured it might help my pressure a lil but it didn't.

How do you know you are burning oil and leaky rearmain will dump oil right on the muffler and burn some pretty nasty black smoke out the rear as your driving. And ofcourse since it is leaking you will lose oil.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
Well I had a small leak in the rear of the valve cover so I wanted to replace the gasket and that is when I found the sludge so I cleaned out cause it was well NASTY lol. I figured it might help my pressure a lil but it didn't.

How do you know you are burning oil and leaky rearmain will dump oil right on the muffler and burn some pretty nasty black smoke out the rear as your driving. And ofcourse since it is leaking you will lose oil.
had my oil changed and everything prob 2 weeks ago, checked it after coming back from a day of wheeling and i was prob alittle under a qt low. i checked and i dont have any noticeable leaks, and no smoke coming out the exhaust that isnt normal. i may look into the valve cover gasket- she does have 106k+ on her
Old 12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

If you had your oil changed they prolly just didn't put enough in lol. It take almost 7 quarts an oil change on these long motors.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
If you had your oil changed they prolly just didn't put enough in lol. It take almost 7 quarts an oil change on these long motors.
hmmm you know what... you may be right
Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

An old guy once told me to run a little diesel fuel in the motor for just a little while and then replace the oil with new. He said it would clean up the gunk in it. NOW if this is true then cool, but I dont know because I have never tried it. Seems like it could work though.

PS, I would never ever use a oil pressure switch that wasn't electric. I have had the little plastic hoses brake twice on me on 2 different cars. One took the motor out because it was reading some pressure, but then lost all when it ran out...hahaha. not good.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fivendime
An old guy once told me to run a little diesel fuel in the motor for just a little while and then replace the oil with new. He said it would clean up the gunk in it. NOW if this is true then cool, but I dont know because I have never tried it. Seems like it could work though.

PS, I would never ever use a oil pressure switch that wasn't electric. I have had the little plastic hoses brake twice on me on 2 different cars. One took the motor out because it was reading some pressure, but then lost all when it ran out...hahaha. not good.

Done it! lol Also did Tranny fluid and alot of the motor flush gunk. Not sure if it worked though cause I havn't dropped my pan yet!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Be careful Stryker you could just flush your crud into the pan where it my just clog your pickup screen. Trashed a Ford 302 that way.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:12 AM
Seasoned Member

the thing with my oil pressure that has me baffled is... i have enough oil in there, yet at cruising speed instead of staying over the 40 mark or so, it drops to the 40 mark while at highway speeds. when i start it and it warms up and so on, pressure is above the 40 mark which gives me peace of mind. when i come to a stop or coast to a stop, naturally it drops between 40 and 20, more so towards 20. i just replaced the sensor this past fall with an OEM one. maybe it needs cleaning? wd-40 will clean out a sensor right?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by paroxysym
the thing with my oil pressure that has me baffled is... i have enough oil in there, yet at cruising speed instead of staying over the 40 mark or so, it drops to the 40 mark while at highway speeds. when i start it and it warms up and so on, pressure is above the 40 mark which gives me peace of mind. when i come to a stop or coast to a stop, naturally it drops between 40 and 20, more so towards 20. i just replaced the sensor this past fall with an OEM one. maybe it needs cleaning? wd-40 will clean out a sensor right?
Better to use a brake clean or a engine degreaser. Solvent works great too if you have some.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Brake clean to clean a sensor out?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche