Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Loud POP noise coming from dash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Loud POP noise coming from dash?

Hi, my fiancé has been driving my 97 cherokee, she told me about a loud pop noise that randomly just POPs every now and then. Well I was driving it today and she was right it was just one loud pop noise, nothing else happened mechanically, just curious if anyone else has had this problem?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:49 PM

It seems to come from the corner driver side of the dash
Old 12-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Inside the cab? That is odd. Creaks and squeaks are normal from the interior trim. Does it sound mechanical or electrical, plastic or metal, any smell associated with it?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Inside the cab? That is odd. Creaks and squeaks are normal from the interior trim. Does it sound mechanical or electrical, plastic or metal, any smell associated with it?
No smells at all, it could be coming from the upper corner engine bay to where it sounds like it's in the cab, but I am thinking electrical
Old 12-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Beach Bum

If it is an electrical short there should be a smell associated with it.
The hood hinges are in the area you just described, also the brake booster.
Does the noise have any 'feel' to it. Can you feel it through the floor or steering wheel or seat?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
If it is an electrical short there should be a smell associated with it.
The hood hinges are in the area you just described, also the brake booster.
Does the noise have any 'feel' to it. Can you feel it through the floor or steering wheel or seat?
Nope, just the Pop noise, gauges don't flicker or nothing. But I did read on a different forum with a few people talking about it and saying it's just a jeep thing and hasn't further hurt anything, but I would like to know what the source is
Old 12-12-2014, 08:16 PM

Year: 1990

My guess would be something shifting and sticking then unsticking as the body twists or maybe by temperature (expansion/contraction); body panel, dash, trim, maybe even the windshield. It could be suspension and transmitting to that corner as well. The other thing to consider is that noises can be very deceptive in their originating location. Something that pops at the right rear may be heard at the left front when it bounces off the windshield and other things near you. Has a passenger heard it and also conclude it's the left front area? Is there anything you can tie to the noise like speed, temperature, bumps, turns, etc.? I've done a few pretty funny "mystery noise" diagnosis, the last three were a bowling ball in the trunk, a mag light under the rear seat, and a pry bar on the safety rack of a work truck. In all three cases the drivers were positive it was a mechanical issue and not their stuff moving around. The bowling ball car went through 3 repair shops before she gave up. She came to me for brakes and asked if I could look into the noise but not to try too hard since it couldn't be diagnosed by anyone else. I drove about 100 feet and knew it was something heavy in the trunk, I have learned I have a gift for finding these things and that most people just can't. I always recommend knowing what's causing anything abnormal in a vehicle before deciding whether or not to just live with it, it could be a warning for something worse.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:22 PM

Yes there was a passenger with me and both said it came from that corner, I was just on the highway doing 60mph, same acceleration no turning of any sort, but ya I want to agree with it maybe the fender popping or something of that nature, great advice thanks
Old 12-12-2014, 08:23 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Mine does this, especially in the cold weather. It sounds like plastic rather than metal. Something in/behind the dash espanding or flexing.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Beach Bum

^ Excellent advise and info '90Cherokee!
As you mention, a reason, something to tie the noise to, would be helpful.
My first thought was also windshield. There is a good amount of flex around its frame.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Lotsa rust? Check where the A pillar meets the chassis. Open the door and try to lift to roof up, if it's rotted out you'll have found your noise.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:44 PM

Nope don't have hardly any rust at all, but yes just something flexing I guess, but it's pretty loud, scared the crap out of me
Old 12-12-2014, 09:00 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Mine does this too. One pop from the left side of the dash early in my drive, and then it doesn't happen again until the next drive. I don't think it always happens though.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:25 AM

Lol damn mysterious cherokee popping noise!!!!
Old 12-13-2014, 12:33 AM

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by leaftye
Mine does this too. One pop from the left side of the dash early in my drive, and then it doesn't happen again until the next drive. I don't think it always happens though.
That sounds like something that contracts and sticks when cool then expands when heated.

Quick Reply: Loud POP noise coming from dash?