Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

lost mech gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default lost mech gauges

ok so here we go, I have a 99 sport and just fixed rear tail lights not working, due to the connectors being f'ed.. up now that I have fixed that I have lost me gauges to the speedo, tach, and anything that has motion in the dash but all light work. I have replaced the fuse box 2 times and the main pig tail that plug into C4 also swapped out the dash cluster (no help) put old back in swapped out ECU ( no help ) put old back in checked all grounds that I can find and all look good .... just don't know what I am missing please help

thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

My 98 lost it's gauges once. A search on here indicated that the connection to the instrument panel is often tentative at best. All I had to do was push my cluster back into the dash and it started working again.

If it happens again I will probably pull it, clean all the contacts and add some dielectric grease, but so far, so good.

You claim to have replace the fuse box, but did you check the IOD fuse? Also check for voltage at that fuse or you may have an open circuit somewhere.

There is a self diagnostic mode for the panel called the actuator test. This will tell you if the panel is functioning or not at least.

To run the test:

1. Begin test with ignition off.
2. Hold the trip odometer switch down and turn ignition to On, but do not start.
3. Release the odometer reset button.

The gauges should step through a series of positions every 2 seconds. There are charts in the service manual (pg 8E12 in my 98 manual) that tell you where the needles should point, but for your purposes, if they start moving the panel is probably not your problem.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I had the same problem just yesterday.. I have a 99 cherokee sport... I was taking my boat out of the water all was fine, When I was leaving the ramp I looked at my gauges and they were all out.. No oil pressure, No temp, No Fuel, No voltage, No speedo and no tach.. It was like they had no power going to them.. Then 5 mins later I look again and all is working again... I would think that where the gauge cluster gets its power must have a bad connection... Drove all day today with no issues but I will keep an eye on it...

Ant...
Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Lost all my gauges and radio the other day after replacing the bulb in under the hood. I accidentally grounded out the connection. That's a 15amp dude in the power distribution center under the hood, sure enough it was blown. Replaced and all is well. Hope this helps you and or someone else.