Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Loose rear diff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Loose rear diff?

Here's a mystery: I get a clunk from my rear diff when switching from forward to reverse or vice versa. Occasionally it also clunks when I decelerate quickly using the brakes. I am pretty sure it's not a u joint in my driveshaft because when I jacked the rear up, then turned a wheel, there was a hesitation and a clunk before the other rear wheel turned in the opposite direction. And there didn't seem to be any play in the driveshaft when I tried to turn it manually. It seems like something is loose inside the diff. But there are no bad noises while driving. What do you all think it could be? I've searched and haven't come across a situation just like mine (usually it's a driveshaft u joint). Some info about my XJ: I am pretty sure its the Chrysler diff (flat bottom) and I have an AW4 transmission with the command trac transfer case (no full time 4 wheel drive). It's a stock 2000 Sport with 112,500 miles. Do I need to change the diff fluid or are we talking about replacing something mechanical in there? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM

I should also mention that my u bolts connecting the axle to the leaf springs seem solid.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

I think the clunk is a Chrysler thing. Never hurts to change the gear oil but probably won't change the clunk.

Last edited by djb383; 10-16-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Diff Noise

If you are sure the noise is internal to the diff there is no harm in having a look. Have at least 1400 ml plus of 75-90W diff oil on hand. Have some good gasket sealant ("the right stuff" brand is great) on hand. Have a pan to catch the old fluid and a roll of towels. Pull your rear cover and clean up the sealing surface. Have a good look inside for any visual problems and look into the old fluid. You can rock the gears back and forth, watch your fingers please. Seal it up, bolt tight but not crazy tight, 35 ft lb is lots, use antiseize on the fasteners, add the fluid till it spills out the fill hole. Google will lead you to lots of video on the process (I am too computer illiterate to know how to post a link). The new fluid won't hurt your jeep. Post us what you see inside.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

sounds like you have a little much back lash in the ring and pinion, it most likely isnt going to break tomorrow but itll shorten the life of your gears
Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 PM

I thought I would post an update for anyone who ends up searching this topic. Recently I replaced my rear springs because the original ones were really sagging, to the point where the wheels would rub when I hit major bumps. I replaced the springs, shocks, bushings, u bolts, and shackles. MY XJ is still stock height, although it may be a little higher now in the rear with the heavy duty springs I used. After replacing the suspension hardware, the clunk that I used to get when going from reverse to forward or vice-versa has completely disappeared. The cause must have been worn suspension parts, not my diff or driveline at all. Hope this helps someone!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by lfhoward
I thought I would post an update for anyone who ends up searching this topic. Recently I replaced my rear springs because the original ones were really sagging, to the point where the wheels would rub when I hit major bumps. I replaced the springs, shocks, bushings, u bolts, and shackles. MY XJ is still stock height, although it may be a little higher now in the rear with the heavy duty springs I used. After replacing the suspension hardware, the clunk that I used to get when going from reverse to forward or vice-versa has completely disappeared. The cause must have been worn suspension parts, not my diff or driveline at all. Hope this helps someone!
hey I was wondering what size u-bolts you used? i am doing my rear leafs and they didn"t come with hardware. thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have the same issue. Haven't looked into the rear diff, but it sounds like its coming from the rear end of some kind.
it's almost like when the weight shifts forward really fast it clunks, but then when I accelerate the weight shifts back and it clunks back into position. I would like to know what it is as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:57 AM

I had a shop do the work and my jeep is still stock, so I'm thinking that they must have used the right u bolts for my 8.25 axle. The bolt size is different for different kinds of axles. Here's a page at Morris 4x4 Center where you can choose u bolts by axle type. Scroll down to #22. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-su...herokee-xj.htm
Old 04-03-2011, 08:04 AM

Year: 1995

How much was the bill to replace the springs, shocks, bushings, u bolts, and shackles.

Parts vs labor?

I am about to do an axle swap and figure since I will have it all apart, might as well rebuild as my rear springs are sagging as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by KD3NE
How much was the bill to replace the springs, shocks, bushings, u bolts, and shackles.
Parts vs labor?
I am about to do an axle swap and figure since I will have it all apart, might as well rebuild as my rear springs are sagging as well.
For me the total came to about $1200, including both parts and labor. I think the labor was probably about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost, although I don't remember the exact amount. I had the shop order the parts and perform the work because I don't have the heated garage, tools, or mechanical experience to perform such a big job on a rusty old suspension. I am happy with the results, though!