Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Looking for trigger wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 05:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.
Default Looking for trigger wire

I am installing a new stereo in my 1991 jeep Cherokee xj. I have the cam installed and the wireless xmter installed and connected to the backup lights. In reverse the lights come on and the xmtr and cam come on. So the back half is done. Now here's where I need some help. I know I need a 12 volt source as a trigger wire that is hot only in reverse to connect the video trigger wire to on my new stereo. I want to tap into the reverse light switch that comes from the tranny. It has to come into the interior of the jeep and run back to the tail lights right ? Can anyone tell me which connector under one of the front kick panels the reverse signal is on ? I don't have a good wiring diagram to look at. But I'm pretty sure it comes in on a harness somewhere and connects to a big plug . I just need to know where to find it. Thanks. I know this is long but I just wanted to be clear about what I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance
Old 04-07-2019, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,083 Likes on 867 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

The switch is on the side of the tranny (NSS if automatic, screwed in switch for a manual). I don't know the routing, but I'm pretty sure it's a brown-wire with tan stripe. For an automatic I think it might come up in the same bundle of wires going under the passenger dash to the trans computer.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.
Default Reverse light trigger wire for sterio

Well I found a solution for the trigger wire the sterio needed to trigger the reverse display for my back up cam. Under the drivers side kick panel there are 3 major connectors. The one at the top, it's a big black connector with one row of 7 pins and the other row with 3 pins. Holding the connector looking at the Male pins, with the 3 pins at the top and the 7 pins at the bottom, counting the lower left pin as pin 1. That had the 12 volts on it all the time going to the reverse switch. Pin 3 only has the 12 volts on it when you shift to reverse. So look at the color of that 3rd. Pins wire and that's the wire ( on either side , it doesn't matter once you connect the connector) you need to tap into to get to your stereo. It works great. Maybe this will help someone who is trying to hook up a back up cam .