Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling the trigger on my LA today

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default pulling the trigger on my LA today

Ok so I'm gonna call an order a rc 6.5 la this evening when I get home along with a few other goodies. I'm looking for people running this lift to give me your opinions. What do you like about it, hate about it, would change about it or had to change. I'll be honest that I'm settling for this lift cuz some of my build budget got taken away. I just want to know exactly what I'm getting into cause if it really comes down to it ill save a few more months an go with the IRO kit I originally had my heart set on.

Things I have questions most about:
How beefy is the track bar drop bracket.
I've heard a lot of bad things about the bushings the kit comes with too.

Opinions of the performance 2.2 shocks an is the fact they are only available up to a 6" lift what is really holding this lift from its flex potential. Cuz I gotta be honest, you look at pics of a rustys or IRO 6.5 flexed all the way out an it looks a lot sexier lol. There has to be something holding this package back.

Well guess that's enough rambling just trying to get some last minute words of advice before the bank calls me tonight to ask about unusual activity on my card lol. Thanks in advance guys
Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I don't have the exact same kit but I have ironrocks 6.5 la kit which is pretty much the same besides 3 link LA's versus 4 link. But with long arms it makes the ride of your jeep on and off road much smoother and the articulation of your jeep will be greatly increased. One thing you maybe want to do is add a SYE along with the kit. I get a vibe around 25 and 55 but nothing too serious. You will not be dissapointed with the lift. As far as shocks if your going to spend the extra money on them, go with the bilstein shocks. My friend has them on his jeep with the same lift and it rides a considerable amount better. Hope this helps!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 99 sport
Engine: 4.0 i6

If your removing a lift that you have on it now let me know. i might be interested in buying the whole thing from you. Thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Oh yea I'm getting an sye that's part of the extra goodies. I know the long and will be tons better than a short arm. This is my 4th 4x4 xj but my first long arm. I'm really looking for thoughts on this exact lift quality an over all satisfaction. The 3 other xjs in our jeep club are running long arms but bds an rustys. I have nobody close to go an look over this kit closely first hand so this is as close as I can get I guess. I really like the IRO kit but with their uber high shipping an lack of discounts I'm looking at quite abit difference in price when ordering the lift sye an steering stabilizer. Rc shipping on all 3 pieces is 104 bucks an with the discount it knocks 180 off. With IRO its almost 300 for shipping an they might knock half that off. It's comes out to be a pretty big difference when your budget is planned out pretty close including incidentals like alignment tire mounting an such.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Unless u live in alaska I don't understand how its 300 dollars for shipping. I'm pretty sure mine was right around 100. The only problem I've hear about rc la's is that since both ends of the upper and lower arms are adjustable the threads tend to become loose over time and cause extra noise. I can't stand hearing noises personally and the IRO LAs are very beefy and are already proper length. The IRO las also have an ajustment for the pinion angle without threaded ends as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Year: 1993

The R.C. kit is the best way to go IMHO. Plus If call and order it from me, I will hook you up on pricing
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sflxj
The R.C. kit is the best way to go IMHO. Plus If call and order it from me, I will hook you up on pricing
Hmmm. I'm sure ur opinion isn't biased.... haha. Its your money, your choice. Find someone that has it and see if that's what you want. Check around for people on this forum located by you.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by zfranklin92
Hmmm. I'm sure ur opinion isn't biased.... haha. Its your money, your choice. Find someone that has it and see if that's what you want. Check around for people on this forum located by you.
I had that kit on my 93 and the 4.5 on my 96. Its not Biased it is my honest opinion. i could sell him something way more expensive if he wants and not discount it too. then I'd make more money...... But I gave him my honest opinion and told him I'd give him a good deal at the same time. Plus he already said thats what he was looking at.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sflxj

I had that kit on my 93 and the 4.5 on my 96. Its not Biased it is my honest opinion. i could sell him something way more expensive if he wants and not discount it too. then I'd make more money...... But I gave him my honest opinion and told him I'd give him a good deal at the same time. Plus he already said thats what he was looking at.
Alright well you never stated that before. I said it was biased because your a vendor and more than likely deal rc parts...
Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 PM

shipped to Mississippi the website quotes like 194 dollars i think, when i called IRO and asked he said actually that was off and it was like 264. only reason they could give me for such a big difference is they ship fedex and RC ships ups, and IRO says they ship in several boxes and their product is much heavier. He didnt tell me they could work with the shipping alil maybe give me half off for being a forum member but that still more than the shipping at RC with no discount. I plan on ordering from jason (grimmus) at RC basically the break down for RC goes like this:
6.5 long arm 1450
SYE 200
Stabilizer 50
shipping 100
total is 1800 but with a 10% discount its 1620 to my door

IRO 6.5 with upgraded shocks 1475
SYE 220
stabilizer 30
shipping on site which i was told is incorrect is 194
total is 1918, even with half off shipping if they can do it its still 1821. Now thats assuming cheaper shipping then i was quoted over the phone and that i will get the discount. so like i said its a pretty substantial difference especially on a very planned out budget. If its the shipping they quoted with a discount im looking aroudn 1856.

SFLXJ if you can beat what i just put up there let me know and you got my business but so far i havent found anybody that can beat RC direct.

If there was anybody close that i could go look at i would have. Our offroad network down here on the gulfcoast is pretty extensive alot of local clubs with good websites and there are only a couple hand fulls of xjs and ive seen the vast majority of them or atleast seen pics and spec sheets on their profile

Last edited by neeland; 02-22-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:45 PM

correct me if im wrong but dont bilsteins stop at 6" too? i was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday bout his 5150s and he told me he had to take them off a few months ago cuz he didnt have enough drop left for his BDS long arm. according to him the only way to go over 6" lift shocks is to go skyjacker nitros. like i said this was a convo i had yesterday and i havent done to much more research but as 3rd in the hierarchy of my jeep club and the guy who introduced me to offroading 8 years ago i pretty much trust what he say.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.7

I have bilsteins. You just gotta order universal ones for the amount of lift. Im running around 10 Inches. I can't imagine running cheaper ones... I also built my Las and crossmember.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 89stroker
I have bilsteins. You just gotta order universal ones for the amount of lift. Im running around 10 Inches. I can't imagine running cheaper ones... I also built my Las and crossmember.
like i said i wasnt sure that was totally correct but from what i have heard from a couple people on this RC LA lift is that the 2.2s are kinda the limiting factor. I am sure with some BPEs and some other slight mods for the front shocks i could make it work.

Side note when my buddy put his 5150s on his tj we played hell with them. I have never wrestled that long with a set of shocks lmao. brand new out the box those things have some serious down force lol
Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM

well i decided not to order yet tonight. Im not gonna get a chance to put it on until sometime next month anyhow so i may take a few more days. Id really like to get a few more opinions from people who own this lift.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

Read up on some of the other jeep forums. There's a ton of people running the RC LA kit..

Or try google.

I wish I could tell you, but I only ran their x-flex arms, and they worked great.

Quick Reply: pulling the trigger on my LA today