Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

looking for an injector leak, I can't find it?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default looking for an injector leak, I can't find it?

warm starts after about 10 minutes parked, up to several hours after parked warm or cold are slow and rough. Engine sounds like it is flooded, and a loss of fuel pressure in the rail and the newly cleaned intake manifold is wet with gas.

Everything points to an injector leaking fuel into a cylinder. Cold starts in the mornings are flawless, as well as starts just after you shut it off, cold or hot.

I have the fuel rail pulled and pump primed, but none of the injectors are leaking onto the paper towel. I have all the manifold sensors unplugged as well as the injector plugs. The rail has pressure.

Can anyone see where my problem lies? The injectors are the 703's and the intake is newer style. Engine runs good once started, and it has never failed to start or stalled.

I drove it last about 6 hours ago, and when i pulled the rail off there was a strong smell of fuel and still is. the inside of the manifold where the o-ring/pintle cap seat had fuel collecting inside a few ports. Also a few injectors had fuel pooled in the tips.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The fuel pressure is no longer a symptom I don't think. Pressure in the rail is lost after about 15 minutes, but not leaking into the engine. Is it possible to flood the engine from an injector that isn't pulsing correct during start up? The #3 injector I had a hard time getting at with the listening 'tool' i used, but it didn't sound right.

I will be testing resistance and power to the injectors shortly. Long story short, can one injector have the flow off so much that the engine can't start proper?