Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Looking for good jeep mechanic in metro detroit area or thumb area in michigan

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for good jeep mechanic in metro detroit area or thumb area in michigan

I'm a wits end with the cylinder misfires on my jeep. It was cylinder six, replaced the injector and now it's 2 & 4 misfires. It only does it on hot restarts, I've been told it could be heat soak. But it's ridiculous to think that after putting down a trail for an hr that my jeep won't start and run on all six cylinders after shutting it down. Something funny is going on, I've done everything within my power to do.. Replaced the ignition coil, plugs, checked injectors with a noid light, replaced one injector on cylinder 6. Is it possible that it needs ALL new injectors? It starts a runs strong, but once it's hot and been running it won't restart on all six. Which even then is sometimes intermittent. What the F is going on?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Jeep has available a retrofit heat shield that goes between the exhaust and intake manifolds.

Also, might want to try seafoam or something similar to decarbonize the engine.

Use Champion copper plugs.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Chewdog167,

I just read through your May 2013 post about this same thing. You never did conclude that post...by saying if you did the compression check, etc.

Sometimes it's a good idea you bring an old post back to life instead of having peeps go over the same chit as before.

At least the old post said what year your Heep is and what work you've accomplished (head).

Don't mean to bee-atch slap you, just trying to get you on the right track.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:32 PM

Hey, thanks for the replies. Again, I'm at wits end.. Out of time and looking for a professional mechanic that specializes in jeeps! Any ideas in 'that' department per the title of this thread would be super appreciated.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Where exactly do you live?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Ok CCKen,

So, I manned up and managed to take the time to dive back into the jeep issues I was having. And I hear ya about keeping with the treads I've started, and at this point I'd refer back to the one I began about the cylinder misfires I was having etc..
It really turns out that it was a heat soak issue I was having, I replaced all the injectors on my 01' heat taped the **** out off the injectors and fuel rail. Which was good but not enough! I then came across your post on a dudes tread in April of last year about wiring an override switch into the electric fan. Brilliant!
I did a lil diagnosis of the fan to make sure it was working and then I jumped the wires as you illustrated in your post.
Did the trick!
I think I'm going to forever have to live with the check eng light on now. But she runs like a champ, restarts strong after cooling with the fan. And it kept my temp down with air on the motor while creeping down the trail. Mission accomplished!
Just sry you had to see my va jj swell up like that!.. I shoulda just stuck it out and gotten er done. I ended up bringing the jeep down from the Caseville area to Centerline where I could run and get parts etc. it was a lil too isolated at the cottage to get anything accomplished.
Thanks again for the advice! Def a pro..