Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Looking at buying an XJ that's been sitting

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Looking at buying an XJ that's been sitting

I've already searched forums for some general tips, and I have a pretty decent amount of automotive knowledge.

I'm looking at buying an XJ that's been sitting for a long time (2-3 years) and wanted some advice on what you'd specifically look at on a 1990 XJ that's been sitting for awhile. I live in Southern CA so I'm not AS worried about moisture in the gas, so I'd be inclined to just top it off with some fresh, and plan on changing the filter soon. I'll pour a bit of oil down each cylinder through the spark plug hole before I try and start it.

Story is that heater core went bad, and it got parked with the intention of fixing it. With the dash half ripped apart it got forgotten and has sat ever since. So far I've only been able to peek over a fence at it. It's also missing it's front bumper and looks like the hatch lock has been ripped out, with some of the hatch cut out to get it out. It looks like it's sitting a bit high in the front?

What can I check for while I'm looking at this closer? Anything in particular that you'd look out for? Anything else you'd do before trying to fire it up for the first time? Or should I just stop wasting my time and find an XJ that's already in running shape?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 stock

personally, i would go for something running, check the ol' craigslist tats where i found my 91 for 1k.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 PM

That's about my budget $1k and under. But all I've really foudn for under $1k is alot of well.... junk! I've found a couple in good running shape but with body damage that's a bit more serious than I'd like (bad enough the hatch won't close properly, or a rear door had to be "modified" to close). Knowing that these are unibodies, I'd like to stay away from something that severe.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:13 PM

Year: 1988

Go for it. I bought my 88 XJ that was sitting for over a year because of a supposed problem. But the problem was the connector on the fuel pump had a wire that backed out about a centimeter and cause for the connection to be lost when bumps or while starting. Hey if its cheap and ur like me and love messing with ur toys go for it. I got lucky i bought my XJ for $300 dollars but $200 in it and got a Bad truck. It has a 6 inch Skyjacker Lift, gears, 35" BF's and its purple!!!! If u can get it cheap go for it!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:12 PM

He said the wrecking yard would give him $200 for it, so I'd have to do better than that.

I need to replace my DD, and ever since I got rid of my Fullsze Bronco two years ago I've missed everything about it... except Fix Or Repair Daily and the horrid gas mileage.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:14 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: blown 4.7

I bought mine for $300 and the body looks like it came from down south but the paint also looks that way
Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dwinthrup
I bought mine for $300 and the body looks like it came from down south but the paint also looks that way
From what I could see, this looks like it's a bit sunburn on the hood, lol.

I'm going to go take a look tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix

I say buy it man.. everything is fixable... a saws-all and a welder... off road the hell out of it and have fun,,, bring that thing back from the brink.. the jeep Gods will shine upon you
Old 11-09-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by trapper
I say buy it man.. everything is fixable... a saws-all and a welder... off road the hell out of it and have fun,,, bring that thing back from the brink.. the jeep Gods will shine upon you
That's kind of what I was hoping to do!

The damn guy didn't answer when I called him yesteday, so maybe I'll have to move on. I'll see if he calls me back today, if not I'll give him a call a little bit later.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ThePOWERtoRULE
That's kind of what I was hoping to do!

The damn guy didn't answer when I called him yesteday, so maybe I'll have to move on. I'll see if he calls me back today, if not I'll give him a call a little bit later.

If you can, try to get a virgin truck. Before I found mine I even came across one that had no cover over the flywheel on the front of the bell housing. Look for tool marks on fender bolts and try to match the vin off the front fenders to the tag... quick way to tell if its been in a collision.

And if you can, try to get a manual 5speed transmission.. at least that my preference.. they can be hard to find so if you happen upon one ****** it up..

good luck
Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 PM

I've got a question, are there some Cherokees that have coil suspension, or is it a modification?? I know it is probably a year thing. I am looking to buy one as well, and was told to get a 91-98 with the HO motor.
Any input would help.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
I've got a question, are there some Cherokees that have coil suspension, or is it a modification?? I know it is probably a year thing. I am looking to buy one as well, and was told to get a 91-98 with the HO motor.
Any input would help.
the 91-98 have coil front and leaf rear.. actually I think they all do.. anyway, I know that a sprung rear is aftermarket only on the years specified..

good luck
Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 4 liter

Originally Posted by trapper
the 91-98 have coil front and leaf rear.. actually I think they all do.. anyway, I know that a sprung rear is aftermarket only on the years specified..

good luck
every single xj made between 1984 and 2001 left the factory with a 4 link front, and a leaf spring rear
Old 11-11-2009, 03:44 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

probably would be best if you did go threw with buying it BEFORE running to change some stuff like oil-filter/tranny fluid-filter/DRAIN old gas tank-lines/fuel filter/radiator fluid
most of its not that costly and considering what your probably going to get it for a 100bucks wouldnt hurt and possible save some later down the road issues

possibly also cap rotar plugs and wires
check air filter