Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Looking to buy my first Jeep...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first Jeep...

I've always wanted an XJ and am now very seriously considering picking one up soon. I'm curious to know what known issues are common... what to look out for before shelling out some coin. Every vehicle has it's quirks and I'd like to know those for the XJ.

This will be my daily driver and needs to be reliable for toting the wife and kids around. I'm most interested in the newest one I can find, probably 98-01. It probably won't be modded with much more than a good looking set of wheels and some more aggressive tires. I mild lift may fit my plans, as well...

So, let's hear it... The good, the bad and the ugly... Help me find a great Jeep. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

best years a 98 and 99. the 00 and 01 have some head problems and low pinion axles are more common.

Best IMO is a 99 with out abs, get a strong rear axle. all the improvements over the years and none of the issues that the last years had with the heads and such
Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Appreciate your insight... Anyone else?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 PM

Model: Cherokee

im going to have a 99 ready to go to new home soon. Does anyone know if 01 trans is supposed to be better than the rest. I heard it wasn't the chrysler trans.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988

Originally Posted by BEAVER.989
I've always wanted an XJ and am now very seriously considering picking one up soon. I'm curious to know what known issues are common... what to look out for before shelling out some coin. Every vehicle has it's quirks and I'd like to know those for the XJ.

This will be my daily driver and needs to be reliable for toting the wife and kids around. I'm most interested in the newest one I can find, probably 98-01. It probably won't be modded with much more than a good looking set of wheels and some more aggressive tires. I mild lift may fit my plans, as well...

So, let's hear it... The good, the bad and the ugly... Help me find a great Jeep. Thanks in advance.

For the years you're looking to buy, I would say 98. I have an 88 that's my DD. Where do you live and we can tell you what to look for? Different parts of the country you wanna look for some different things.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by thundaluvin
For the years you're looking to buy, I would say 98. I have an 88 that's my DD. Where do you live and we can tell you what to look for? Different parts of the country you wanna look for some different things.
I live in mid Michigan. Near the Saginaw Bay.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Seasoned Member

I live in mid Michigan. Near the Saginaw Bay.
your in my neck of the woods. Check the oil cap for milky residue, look at the michigan stamp of approval(underbody rust), Smell the fluids. check the coolant. I myself am on my 9th jeep(3rd xj). There's a couple by me fo sale if ya wanna come down and check them out.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by thundaluvin
your in my neck of the woods. Check the oil cap for milky residue, look at the michigan stamp of approval(underbody rust), Smell the fluids. check the coolant. I myself am on my 9th jeep(3rd xj). There's a couple by me fo sale if ya wanna come down and check them out.
So, just all the usual stuff I'd check out? Nothing specific to Jeeps, really? Like older Ford trucks are notorious for kingpins... GM 3400's and head gaskets... Dodge Rams and bad tranny's... etc, etc, etc...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Seasoned Member

So, just all the usual stuff I'd check out? Nothing specific to Jeeps, really? Like older Ford trucks are notorious for kingpins... GM 3400's and head gaskets... Dodge Rams and bad tranny's... etc, etc, etc...
Jeeps are notorious for for cooling issues, if they are not taken care of. Milky oil cap=head gasket problem. I love jeeps, they are bulletproof if you listen to what they are saying and take care or issues rather than neglect them.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

Get a good light and look inside the valve cover under the oil filler cap and see how clean (or possibly neglected) the engine was. Will give you a good starting point...if the upper half of the engine looks like crap, then the maintenance on the rest of it was probably less than desirable.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:19 AM

A lot of the Jeeps I'm looking at seem to have quite a few miles. Silly question, but how long will the 4.0 last, usually? Obviously it'll vary a lot, but at one point should I just say away? I know this engine has a great reputation, but I've never known anyone who's actually owned anything with one...
Old 01-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Seasoned Member

A lot of the Jeeps I'm looking at seem to have quite a few miles. Silly question, but how long will the 4.0 last, usually? Obviously it'll vary a lot, but at one point should I just say away? I know this engine has a great reputation, but I've never known anyone who's actually owned anything with one...
Mine has 230,000+ on it. blew a head gasket last month. replaced it, waterpump and t-stat, full cooling system flush and she's running like a top. I paid 450 for the jeep, 300 for parts and I couldn't be happier. It all depends on previous owner and how you handle issues when they arise.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991

I would buy one in between 95 and 99 they had the best way of everything run together no over heat probs kept the best body and of course are bullet proof! I have had 2 87 loved and totaled it... 88 loved and sold it. Lookin at gettin a 94 96 or 2000. We will see!