Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

long travel yoke.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 soon to be gc ho 4.0
Default long travel yoke.

ok, heres the deal. I have a 4.5 lift on my xj, i wheel hard, im aggressive with throttle at times. i have 1 inch t case drop crossmember from rustys. i understand that a t case drop reduces the amount of the splines that are in contact and just helps with driveline angles... it uses outer slpines wich is more prone to failure under full flex and or throttle in some situations. my last xj had same lift but had ats then wnet to boggers, i wheeled it hard and never had any problems....my question is since i cant drop 465 plus shipping on a sye kit and want to use that money on other stuff like tires, gears.etc wont a long travel yoke allow more of a surface area for the splines to stay in contact.>? please dont get on here and start telling me im dumb, im wasting money, or swear up and down im gonna break something...or tell me that i need a sye and i should get one and all that...i plan on getting one eventually i know they are very practical....but with lay offs comming...this long travel yoke cost 50 bucks that doesnt hurt vs 460 bux. if that will increase amount of the splines in contact or more of the shaft then to me that would be alot better than nothing wich is little more peace of mind. i plan on the tera low kit and sye when i get ready to re gear and run 36's. for now i just wanted to add a little security. thanks in advance guys...just wondering if im thinking of the purpose of the long travel yoke is right im also adding 6 degree shims to help with angles at full droop...no sway bars and long travel shocks this thing flexes alot.

Last edited by crashzx6r; 02-28-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

you can do a hack and tap try searching there is quite a few threads in here i understand its not to expensive all u really need is the driveshaft
Old 02-28-2009, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

I have been thinking about getting that long travel yoke from rusty's as well. I don't have any vibes either and to me it just makes since to go with the new yoke.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

yj yoke. i had one on my jeep before. they're longer than xj yokes.

plus they have better clearance in the ears for the u-joint.

it's cheap and works.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Engine: 4.0 soon to be gc ho 4.0

glad some folks agree...im thinking same things, and it give little more strength and piece of mind when wheeling..saves money too. lol i just ordered it im gonna give it a try. but honestly my yoke still has alot of play left...so i think this one will do the job just fine .