Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Limited slip

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Limited slip

Hello, I have a 97 XJ. I would like to no if there are any disadvantages to a limited slip differential and how to go about getting it. Yes I am somewhat of a noob. I have limited slip on my blazer and love it. My jeep is stock. All help appreciated. Thanks!
Stephen
Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

The disadvantage is the middle word "SLIP" 'cause that's what they do. Easiest traction enhanced diff to install is an auto locker......and they don't slip.

Last edited by djb383; 01-25-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by djb383
The disadvantage is the middle word "SLIP" 'cause that's what they do. Easiest traction enhanced diff to install is an auto locker......and they don't slip.
X2...I reccomend the powertrax no-slip. Its what im saving up for and you get alot of bang for your buck and its the quitest locker you can get if your driving on the road alot more then you are off-road.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM

Engine: 4.0

The disadvantage of a clutch LSD is that it wears out with use. The advantage is that the resistance of the clutches always sends a certain amount of torque to the gripping wheel, no matter what the other one is doing.

A Torsen diff doesn't wear out, but it works differently.

An open diff always sends the same torque to both wheels. When one wheel is in the air, basically zero torque goes to it. It's like spinning a loose bolt with a torque wrench-- it won't click because the torque is almost zero. So the wheel that does have traction also gets zero torque. If you have cutting brakes like some rock crawlers, you can apply braking to the spinning wheel, and the gripping wheel gets an amount of torque identical to what the cutting brake is applying.

A Torsen makes it so there is a ratio of torque going to the wheels, like 1:5. If you're lifting a tire, the 5x multiplier doesn't help, but if you apply a little brake, 5x that force can go to the gripping wheel. It also helps if the slipping wheel is in loose dirt or mud but still has a little traction.

Eventually I want to put a Detroit True Trac torsen in my rear axle http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...px?ProdID=1473

Last edited by winkosmosis; 01-25-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm not sure that this applies to XJ's, but lockers tend to be unforgiving in icy/snowy road conditions (read- unpredictable handling) and an LSD is way more forgiving in the same. Off road the locker has the advantage.

My experience is only with SWB vehicles and I have an LSD. It operates completely transparent and has allowed me to go in 2WD where others required 4WD. It is also completely silent.......
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

ANY traction enhanced rear diff will have a tendency to "step out" in snow/ice conditions IF the driver's right foot has SFB syndrome.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by winkosmosis
................An open diff always sends the same torque to both wheels. When one wheel is in the air, basically zero torque goes to it........
The only time an open diff sends the same torque to both wheels is when traveling perfectly straight and traction at both tires is perfectly equal. If one wheel is in the air, ALL the torque goes to it.......that's why you're stuck, not going anywhere, with an open diff.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L I6

The only time an open diff sends the same torque to both wheels is when traveling perfectly straight and traction at both tires is perfectly equal. If one wheel is in the air, ALL the torque goes to it.......that's why you're stuck, not going anywhere, with an open diff.

Which is the most frustrating thing in to world. Getting stuck with a wheel or two off the ground spinning free and the one on the pavement not moving at all really pisses me off and makes me wanna say fu<k 4x4

and yes im saving up for rear lockers...
Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by winkosmosis
The disadvantage of a clutch LSD is that it wears out with use. The advantage is that the resistance of the clutches always sends a certain amount of torque to the gripping wheel, no matter what the other one is doing.

A Torsen diff doesn't wear out, but it works differently.

An open diff always sends the same torque to both wheels. When one wheel is in the air, basically zero torque goes to it. It's like spinning a loose bolt with a torque wrench-- it won't click because the torque is almost zero. So the wheel that does have traction also gets zero torque. If you have cutting brakes like some rock crawlers, you can apply braking to the spinning wheel, and the gripping wheel gets an amount of torque identical to what the cutting brake is applying.

A Torsen makes it so there is a ratio of torque going to the wheels, like 1:5. If you're lifting a tire, the 5x multiplier doesn't help, but if you apply a little brake, 5x that force can go to the gripping wheel. It also helps if the slipping wheel is in loose dirt or mud but still has a little traction.

Eventually I want to put a Detroit True Trac torsen in my rear axle http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...px?ProdID=1473
Thank you! Your comment was very helpful.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by Stephen102938
Hello, I have a 97 XJ. I would like to no if there are any disadvantages to a limited slip differential and how to go about getting it. Yes I am somewhat of a noob. I have limited slip on my blazer and love it. My jeep is stock. All help appreciated. Thanks!
Stephen
How do you plan to use the XJ? As has been said, for a daily driver no-trail jeep, a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) gives you an advantage on-road, especially in slippery conditions (snow, heavy rain) over an "open" diff. Ice is in a class of its own - nothing helps! LSD can still help off-road to an extent. My '92 had a D35 & LSD which was fantastic on-road both in snow & in downpours. It also did well in soft mud. It still worked perfect when I swapped the axle a couple years ago & frankly I'd prefer an LSD over a locker on the street any day. Take it from someone who has driven the same vehicle all with LSD, open & auto-locked rear diff. They are NOT the same.

You can get an LDS from doing an axle swap or simply purchase the unit & have it installed. Depending on your axle, Auburn gear has excellent LSDs. A lot of Jeep guys don't like Auburn Gear, but their stuff isn't made for the beating some Jeeps get.

Much is being made of lockers, but many people get lockers right off the bat & it does all the work for a driver who lacks skill.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
How do you plan to use the XJ? As has been said, for a daily driver no-trail jeep, a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) gives you an advantage on-road, especially in slippery conditions (snow, heavy rain) over an "open" diff. Ice is in a class of its own - nothing helps! LSD can still help off-road to an extent. My '92 had a D35 & LSD which was fantastic on-road both in snow & in downpours. It also did well in soft mud. It still worked perfect when I swapped the axle a couple years ago & frankly I'd prefer an LSD over a locker on the street any day. Take it from someone who has driven the same vehicle all with LSD, open & auto-locked rear diff. They are NOT the same.

You can get an LDS from doing an axle swap or simply purchase the unit & have it installed. Depending on your axle, Auburn gear has excellent LSDs. A lot of Jeep guys don't like Auburn Gear, but their stuff isn't made for the beating some Jeeps get.

Much is being made of lockers, but many people get lockers right off the bat & it does all the work for a driver who lacks skill.
Thank you! You input is very helpful. I do not do any crazy trail riding, but I do go off road in sometimes. Is installing a limited slip differential hard? I do not no what axles I have lol.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

........Is installing a limited slip differential hard?...........
Not to be the least bit critical, but the above statement is key to your understanding/knowledge (or lack of) of differentials. Go to your local library/search the Net and this time next week you'll be able to talk diffs with the best of them. There are 3 basic types of differentials: Open, Limited Slip and Locking. There are a multitude of different styles of limited slip diffs as well as a multitude of different styles of locking diffs. Regardless of the mechanicals, limited Slip and locking are both traction enhanced diffs and an open diff is not. Doing some research/reading will quickly tell u that installing a limited slip diff will be quite detailed/intricate and without certain special tools, next to impossible to do CORRECTLY (ring/pinion set-up) for anyone with limited understanding of differentials. If you read up on "automatic lockers" (sometimes called lunchbox lockers), u will see that u could probably install one yourself in about 2 hours in your driveway/garage and not have to mess with/disturb the ring/pinion set-up. Only tools u need is a wrench and needle nose pliers, to install a lunchbox locker. Lockers can be rude/crude/noisy or quiet and virtually invisible, even in a daily driver. Automatic lockers that ratchet/click in a turn cost less than quiet/no noise auto lockers. This video does a decent job of explaining/demonstrating the 3 basic diff types.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Not to be the least bit critical, but the above statement is key to your understanding/knowledge (or lack of) of differentials. Go to your local library/search the Net and this time next week you'll be able to talk diffs with the best of them. There are 3 basic types of differentials: Open, Limited Slip and Locking. There are a multitude of different styles of limited slip diffs as well as a multitude of different styles of locking diffs. Regardless of the mechanicals, limited Slip and locking are both traction enhanced diffs and an open diff is not. Doing some research/reading will quickly tell u that installing a limited slip diff will be quite detailed/intricate and without certain special tools, next to impossible to do CORRECTLY (ring/pinion set-up) for anyone with limited understanding of differentials. If you read up on "automatic lockers" (sometimes called lunchbox lockers), u will see that u could probably install one yourself in about 2 hours in your driveway/garage and not have to mess with/disturb the ring/pinion set-up. Only tools u need is a wrench and needle nose pliers, to install a lunchbox locker. Lockers can be rude/crude/noisy or quiet and virtually invisible, even in a daily driver. Automatic lockers that ratchet/click in a turn cost less than quiet/no noise auto lockers. This video does a decent job of explaining/demonstrating the 3 basic diff types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw
Yes I know I need to research. I start with a forum for any pointers, then I get to the real reading.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Yes I know I need to research. I start with a forum for any pointers, then I get to the real reading.
Hope the video helped a little and starting with a forum, may/may not be the best place for accurate/reliable info. There's some BS starting to accumulate in this thread already.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999
Engine: 4.0

I suggest a lunchbox. I'm going to Indy this weekend for monster jam and picking up a used aussie for $100 and an extra exhaust manifold.

Quick Reply: Limited slip