Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Light bar options....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Light bar options....

I was tinkering on my 94 today. OKAY when am I NOT tinkering?

When I noticed an XJ go past our residence with roof lights.
I looked up from my flare trimming and I noticed how bare the top of my Cherokee looks.

Gots me thinking about a light bar. Cheap. As I am never satisfied, so I do not want to spend a whole lot. Plain and simple...Im a cheap***

I have altered roof rack bow on previous projects. The one I remember best, I removed the bow, installed an aluminum tube and fastened aluminum CB antenna mounts and bolted a set of lights.

That is nothing like the Cherokee has.
Has anyone ever straightened out one of the rack bows and altered it to mount lights?

I removed my front bow and redneck straightened it...I drove over it a hundred or so times. Actually, I didn't j/k.

I DID completely disassemble it. Even removed the rubber strip down the center. Took it to my workshop and muscled it until it was flat. I reinstalled and I think it looks pretty good. And it is extremely sturdy when moved far forward..

Now all I have to do is make some threaded nut clips to slide inside.
A co-worker is supplying me w/some decent rounds to install.
After they are on, I can run the wires INSIDE then take the rubber strip and cut it and press it back in to seal everything up.

Sound do-able? Will it float? Any suggestions?

Please, no "go buy a bar or rack" suggestions.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

As for the OEM bar I have the real old style with the two thumbscrews per side per rail and I used the rail as a guide to make two rails that are heave 1/4" thick by 1.5" wide rails from. This is what I mounted my Surco to. I am planning on putting 4 Hellas on the surco with a 1.5 x 1.5 aluminum angle. and I have 4 lights to go in the rear for back-up lights and was going to put them up the same way. Just didn't want to have to pull my headliner down until I have everything ready to slap together. HTH for your ideas Howler.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

If you have the newer style the middle bar that connects to each slide mount can be unscrewed...You could in theory make thicker new middle bar that would bolt directly to those sliders to make a nice light bar. This is what I am going to do..why no welding needed and fab work would be fairly easy just some drilling and bolting and run some wiring and you are done..Still not sure how I would run the wiring yet but I have a vision to work with off that concept.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by XJ?2010
Check this out too its the cheapest one i've seen
http://www.prolineracks.com/proline-...ter-racks.html
Now what was Howler's last line of his original post XJ?2010. No go buy this or that and what do you go and suggest?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: I6 4.0L

oh i didnt read the whole post sorry bout that
Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

I know....

So here's what i got so far.

Compared front(flat) rear(stock bow)

Another view (at angle)

From the top comparing the two.
FLAT has center rubber removed and inside there is a very nice "t-slot" for mounting lights to a 1/4" thick piece of metal w/threads.

I had originally thought about making my own crossbar but seeing how nice the stock (flattened) crossbar IS for what I want, I decided to go with that.

ALSO: once lights are mounted, the rear bar will be moved back where it was originally. That takes a bit especially if you don't have a helper. Move it back 2" on one side, walk around to other side, move that one 2"...etc...etc. Those that have this style rack know what I'm talking about
Old 08-23-2008, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Something we don't see enough of around here.

A FOLLOW-UP

With pics to boot.

Co-worker came thru today with a NEW (NRFB) set of nice lights.
Before everyone starts hootin and hollering...they are cheapy Pilot Brand from AZ. But hey, they are NEW not f'ed with.

Mounting NUT fit perfectly into slot of crossbar. Rather than screw-up (no pun intended) and try to cut the bolts I decided to make a clearance hole in bottom of bar and let the rest stick out. Roughly 1/2"
Put everything back together and had only one OOPS. I broke the keeper button on the passenger's side bracket
I foresee another j/y run in my near future.

I even trimmed and slid the rubber strip in the center.
Only modification from original concept. Run 2 screws down thru crossbar at the side brackets. Snugged up a minor amound of wobble.
NOW, nice and sturdy

Here's the pics:

This one shows my minor flare trimming. Didn't want to go overboard, if needed I can take more off at a later date

Up close

Good thing Sunday is bath day. Cannot tell by these pics but Lil Red is filthy

Critique... Just remember one thing. This cost me $0.00
Old 08-23-2008, 05:38 PM

I like your idea..I am gonna do the same thing on mine.. I am curious how did you run the wiring?
Old 08-23-2008, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

There is enough room UNDER the rubber strip to run wiring across. I have yet to wire them in. Why? I am tired.
Working 10-12 hrs/day and 6hrs on Sat can tend to wear one out real quick. Plus the online research and actual work on (2) Cherokees.
I think I died about 2 weeks ago. If someone sees my laying in the driveway...just pave over me.

I dropped my screwdriver, it hit my foot and rolled underneath the Cherokee. I crawled under to get it...almost didn't crawl back out as it felt real good being horizontal. I laid there for at least 10 minutes.

Trust me on this point: Flattening out the crossbar is NOT easy as you may think. I had to use some WARM persuasion. Actually chared the paint underneath.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:57 PM

Yeah i figure it will be tough to flatten but well worth it since you have that channel to run the wiring.. Just gotta figure out how to get it into the cab...