Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

LIFTING SOON, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default LIFTING SOON, opinions?

if i do a Rough country series 2 lift and some junkyard s10 packs how will the ride quality be? i am going with the rough country lift over the rustys lift because the rough country kit comes with the angles lower control arms and i am guessing that will improve my ride quality a bit? tell me what you think and what i should know. thanks!! and it will be on a 2000 jeep cherokee stock.
and i will be going with 31" tall tires
So my real question is...will the new control arms provided with the rough country series 2 kit give me a better ride than not having them?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

well considering both of those kits inculde add a leafs for the rear I'm not sure how great that will be. You mentioned the s10 leaf spring conversion, I've a lot of people say good things about it. However I've never tried it myself. The angled front lower control arms are kinda nice. Alot of people on CF call Rustys "crustys", im not sure why, I had they're tie rod/ draglink kit and I never had any problems with it. You cant beat $300 for those kits. You should be good which ever one you get.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

Originally Posted by BigC9164
if i do a Rough country series 2 lift and some junkyard s10 packs how will the ride quality be? i am going with the rough country lift over the rustys lift because the rough country kit comes with the angles lower control arms and i am guessing that will improve my ride quality a bit? tell me what you think and what i should know. thanks!! and it will be on a 2000 jeep cherokee stock.
and i will be going with 31" tall tires
So my real question is...will the new control arms provided with the rough country series 2 kit give me a better ride than not having them?

Angled lower control arms are for delaying control arm binding when your suspension droops, it will have zero effect on your ride quality, the force still travels along the same path whether the arms are bent or not.

Both kits are about the same. Want to do a budget lift and have a decent ride? Buy spacers for the front and do your S10 pack or buy a full length add a leaf, not one of those stiff crappy footlong budget deals. Then buy some Old Man Emu shocks and it will ride the same or better than it did stock.

Last edited by Iant333; 07-04-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

3 inch spacer's, even stacking spacers are a bad idea...... I thought we are trying to improve ride quailty. Yea their cheap and give you the same result by lifting your suspension but wouldnt newer coils be the better option as far as quality goes... Plus the new coils comes with the kit.....
Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

Originally Posted by BigRed93xj
3 inch spacer's, even stacking spacers are a bad idea...... I thought we are trying to improve ride quailty. Yea their cheap and give you the same result by lifting your suspension but wouldnt newer coils be the better option as far as quality goes... Plus the new coils comes with the kit.....

I thought he was going for 2 inches, which is a perfectly fine spacer height. But I just checked the link, yeah they are both about the same kit.

However Rough Country coils are on the stiff side, but your biggest detriment to ride quality is the terrible rough country and rusty's shocks.

Last edited by Iant333; 07-04-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM

i am going for 3 inches. and no i want a full kit and not spacers. i will be doing some moderate off roading. and dont want to deal with springs popping out all the time. well noe i am thinking about the rustys lift or the iron rock offroad lift so that i will get some things like sway bar links and a tcase drop kit that i will most likely need in the end any ways. so i am thinking if i order their kit and call and ask if i can upgrade my shocks to Doetsch Tech 8000s for like $50 instead of the rough country ones i should be in good shape for a cable off road lift with some on road manners??
Old 07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by BigC9164
i am going for 3 inches. and no i want a full kit and not spacers. i will be doing some moderate off roading. and dont want to deal with springs popping out all the time. well noe i am thinking about the rustys lift or the iron rock offroad lift so that i will get some things like sway bar links and a tcase drop kit that i will most likely need in the end any ways. so i am thinking if i order their kit and call and ask if i can upgrade my shocks to Doetsch Tech 8000s for like $50 instead of the rough country ones i should be in good shape for a cable off road lift with some on road manners??
Let forget whether you need a "Kit" for now. Ask yourself this question. Am I more concerned with how it looks and the tags on the package or am i more concerned with performance and ride? When you can ansswer that question lets talk about cost. What is the budget?

Front Springs OME and Rustys 3" front spring should be the best for ride quatity, softest spring rates. Shocks and control arm geometry (NOT LENGTH) are the main factors for a good ride, Rustys and RC and IRO cheap shock ALL suck. Go with Doetsch tec, OME or Bilstine shocks, for the best ride. A bent arm improves the Geometry and will improve shock transmission over a straight arm. In the rear a S-10 bastard pack will work as good or better than anybody's 3-4" fullpack leafs. AALs suck no matter short or long, but long is better than short.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

I'm gonna have to disagree with the aal and spring packs being equal. A good set of leaf packs with be military wrapped and designed for the best ride quality and flex. Bottom line is it all depends on your budget, period.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

so how much lift do the s10 packs give you? i was gonna do a block and shackle but remembered that i like to tow stuff from time to time and i figure my rear springs couldnt hold a car and car trailer very well
Old 07-05-2010, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
so how much lift do the s10 packs give you? i was gonna do a block and shackle but remembered that i like to tow stuff from time to time and i figure my rear springs couldnt hold a car and car trailer very well
I depend on the combination of leafs you use and the condition of your XJ spring, but you can get any where from 1.5" lift to 5". My springs were sagged 1/2". I added just the S-10 Main leaf to my pack as a AAL and got 1.5" lift over stock. I am also running a 2" lift shackle so total is 3.5". Ride is as good or even better than stock. When I get a SYE in I will use more of the S10 pack to get to 4.5"-5" lift.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:42 PM

i have a $500 budget for a lift(not tires) that needs to be as high as i can go without spending a ton of money on an sye and driveshaft. i want good off road performance and a pretty good on road ride comfort...i WILL be doing a bastard pack! so dont worry about the AALs. so i am now thinking that i might talk to iron rock off road and see if i can get their 3" kit without the rough country springs and shocks and add on a set of dotsche shocks. and then order some ome springs?
does this sound like a good idea??
Old 07-05-2010, 03:32 PM

Year: 2000

I have IRO. If you pick up a JP magizine IRO has a add inside with a code. give them the code and it saves you 10%. its not much. below is my thread on the lift. The D8000 shocks are awsome. well worth the money. Call IRO they will answer any questions you have. You can pick up a SYE kit and drive shaft for $200 through them also. Hope this helps

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/iro...ift-kit-50027/
Old 07-05-2010, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

x2 on the doestch 8000s i love them
Old 07-05-2010, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

With a $500 budget just get some 3" front springs and the D-tech shocks, an adjustable track bar, some S-10 spring from a Junkyard, and go to lowes for the swaybar disconect and the TC drop, if needed. You will have a good riding DD that is also Good of road. Then save $300 more for either the SYE or a locker which ever you need or want the most.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

Originally Posted by 93gc40
With a $500 budget just get some 3" front springs and the D-tech shocks, an adjustable track bar, some S-10 spring from a Junkyard, and go to lowes for the swaybar disconect and the TC drop, if needed. You will have a good riding DD that is also Good of road. Then save $300 more for either the SYE or a locker which ever you need or want the most.
i wouldnt even mess with track bar. 3in will only move axle 3/8 to 1/2in over. you can always redrill axle side mount to

Quick Reply: LIFTING SOON, opinions?