Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lifter tick

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lifter tick

As some know, Im the proud owner of a 96 Country and it has 171K on the odom. It has a light tick during its warm up cycle, however it goes away once it warms up. So Im not overly concerned, but wondering if this is the best course of action...

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showth...ht=lifter+tick

(newbie using search, whats the world coming too. )
Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

yea and the only thing that sucks is their not adjustable. As far as the ticking it's not going to hurt anything other than just be annoying. But I did make the tick go away on mine. I use straight 30w Shell motor oil it's thicker but I been running it for a couple years now and had no problems and it's runs quieter. My buddy drag races with that oil and never blew a motor.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 PM

Would replacing them make a difference? Or not worth the tear down time?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I actualy JUST bought new lifters and all the gaskets and am gonna be replacing mine this weekend. My jeep suffers from the lifter tap. It has a miss at idle....and sounds like a diesel. It runs awesome but i know they are effecting performance. i was told you loose .100 worth of lift if you have a collapsed lifter...which is alot. So far i have spent 100$ on the fix in parts. there is no magic fix in a can.....running thicker oil will help but is only a bandaide.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I'm just putting my .02 cents in here. It may have just been a placebo effect but, when I started using 93 octane fuel, the horrible lifter tap I had while pulling hills and at start up was magically gone. I have no lifter tap and she doesn't run as rough now. It could all be in my head, but the lifter tap is gone, and everyone I know agrees, because it doesn't sound like a heard of little tiny horses coming up the road anymore.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Southern96xj
I'm just putting my .02 cents in here. It may have just been a placebo effect but, when I started using 93 octane fuel, the horrible lifter tap I had while pulling hills and at start up was magically gone. I have no lifter tap and she doesn't run as rough now. It could all be in my head, but the lifter tap is gone, and everyone I know agrees, because it doesn't sound like a heard of little tiny horses coming up the road anymore.
that could either be from pinging from low grade gas or you just had some carbon built on around the valves making a racket.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

If you tear into the motor enough to swap the lifters, you may as well rebuild the entire head and if you do that well you may as well rebuild the bottom end because it won't last long with a tight head. Seeing a pattern here?
Just get some thinker oil or an additive. You will have that lifter tick for a long time before she actually dies. Mine 185K on it when I bought it and it had a little lifter tick then. It now has 248K and it ticks a bit louder but she runs like a top. Same deal, it quiets down a lot once it warms up. It quits completely once I go off idle.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
If you tear into the motor enough to swap the lifters, you may as well rebuild the entire head and if you do that well you may as well rebuild the bottom end because it won't last long with a tight head. Seeing a pattern here?
Just get some thinker oil or an additive. You will have that lifter tick for a long time before she actually dies. Mine 185K on it when I bought it and it had a little lifter tick then. It now has 248K and it ticks a bit louder but she runs like a top. Same deal, it quiets down a lot once it warms up. It quits completely once I go off idle.

Makes sense. Thank you for the ease of mind, CPO.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Assuming the motor need a rebuild without doing a compression test is a expensive guess.....You absolutly CAN rebuild the top end...it in NO way will cause the short block to "go" out.....Like i said earlier you loose up to .100" of lift with a collapsed lifter. but since your use to the way it runs....you wouldnt know unless you put new one's in.....Test the head (when its off) if it doesnt need a Valve job replace the lifters and bolt it back on. My motor with 153K is awesome, Blowby tube is bone dry....uses No oil..A rebuild for me would be a waste....they are a Inline motor after all.

Last edited by 98 JeepJeep; 05-05-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
assuming the motor need a rebuild without doing a compression test is a expensive guess.....You absolutly CAN rebuild the top end...it in NO way will cause the short block to "go" out.....Like i said earlier you loose up to .100" of lift with a collapsed lifter. but since your use to the way it runs....you wouldnt know unless you put new one's in.....Test the head (when its off) if it doesnt need a Valve job replace the lifters and bolt it back on. My motor with 153K is awesome Blowby tube is bone dry....uses no oil..A rebuild for me would be a waste....they are a Inline motor after all.

A leak down and compressin test is in order for this weekend. If they come back within specs then Im going to leave it be. Let me know how it goes after the swap. Thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by trs80
A leak down and compressin test is in order for this weekend. If they come back within specs then Im going to leave it be. Let me know how it goes after the swap. Thanks
Ill let you know results if i get a chance to replace them this weekend.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

i have a 93 cherokee and a 3rd lifter tick, can i get to the lifter from the top end or how do i go about getting to the lifter?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l I6

My cents here? Drive it till it breaks. Doing all that work for something that can last a LONG time. I wouldnt fix it if its not broke completely. And when you rebuild you will check every little thing out then anyways. So nothing will tick for sure.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

i finally replaced mine........quite as a mouse in church now......good thing i replaced them because they head was cracked in 3 places......
Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by mycherokee
My cents here? Drive it till it breaks. Doing all that work for something that can last a LONG time. I wouldnt fix it if its not broke completely. And when you rebuild you will check every little thing out then anyways. So nothing will tick for sure.

Quick Reply: Lifter tick