Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lift sag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Lift sag?

I have narrowed my lift kit choices down to two different brands, R.e. and Tuff Country. I am looking at the R.E. Super ride with full leafs, twin tube shocks and a new track bar. The other, is the Tuff country 3.5 ez ride with full leafs and nitro gas shocks. I am on a 18 year olds budget and do have to replace an o2 sensor at the least in the next couple of months.

I know several users currently have the R.E. Super Ride full leaf lift on their jeep and I am reaching out to them. I am wondering how much I have to worry about both the leafs and the coils sagging. I do have plans on front and rear bumpers, but once again I am on a 18 year olds budget so those dont look too good for a while or at least graduation.

Would planning on getting new coil spacers and shackles be a good idea so I could stay at 3.5 after it breaking in and possible bumpers? I currently have the Terra Flex 1.5 coil spacers and greasable shackles. If so could anybody possibly recomend some that would do the job? I am looking to stay as close to 3.5, 4 as possible. I do not have the skills to do an SYE and am trying to avoid it at all cost. This is my DD with 85% road and 15% offroad, I mostly hit mud and trails.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

01 will more than likely need an SYE. i bought a cheap lift back when i got started and regret it every day. go RE
Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i rode on the R.E. 6200 extreme duty 5.5 inch kit. it is a superflex kit that comes with the heavy duty track bar and control arm drop brackets.

it is an awesome kit, well engineered and works extremely well on the rocks.

it rides way better than stock and didn't sag an inch in the 5 years i had it.

rubicon express actually quotes their kits an inch less than actual height. so a 4.5 inch kit really measures out to a 5.5 inch and a 5.5 inch is more like 6.5 inch.

if you're only running mud tho, i'd think again about R.E. as their product is quite expensive. but you do get everything you need except shocks.

their R.E. joints are like heim joints and need to be serviced from time to time. they sell the spanner tool to rebuild them tho. but mud will destroy almost any kit.

i still have my kit laying around. i am still using the coils and rear leafs for now, but gonna upgrade them to rusty's 8.5 inchers to go with my clayton longarms.

i recommend them as the best available short arm kit you can buy.