Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lift question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lift question

I have a 98 model and recently put 30 inch tires on it to get a beefy look. When the dealer put the tires on they rubbed, so the dealer said he would put a two inch lift on it to provide clearance. That also required new heavy duty shocks and when it was all said and done my Jeep has a nifty look but the ride is horrible. It sways and has no suspension. The dealer put new shocks on and he put a 2 inch square tube block on top of my rear axle and some extra long u-bolts. The leaf springs are totally flat, the dealer says he's done all he can do. I'm afraid he got in over his head on the lift and didn't quite get it right. Some of my work buds say all I need are different shackles on the rear to allow the springs to work properly. I thought I'd ask the experts in here before I went after those shackles. Need good advice since I'm giving this Jeep to my teenage daughter who starts driving soon.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

return it to stock and give it to daughter.

but if your looking for a better ride, to a leaf pack or at least and aal in the rear and new coils up front, large ones that compress a lot. you can get different spring rates depending on how knowledgeable the place you buy from.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

ditch the blocks, now.
look up 2" budget boosts, consists of the shackles your looking for and coil spacers if you dont already have them.