Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lift and others mods worth it?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HIGH OUTPUT
Default Lift and others mods worth it?????

So this is my 96' Classic thats sitting stock. Got it off my brother who bought a Grand Cherokee and sold this to me for 1000.00 bucks good deal if you ask me. its got 172,394 miles and runs great!!! What i wanna know is would it be worth it to put a 2-3.5 inch lift that would mainly be for looks and or light field use? if so than what kind should i buy?
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 AM

O ya iv been driving it for about 4 months runs fine put a new cap,plugs wires,new oil ect..... As you can see the rusty rockers are the only thing wrong, What I want to do is cut them off and replace them with steel or somthing would that work?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

Yeah you could cut em out and weld some 2x3 steel in there search around i have seen it done. As for the lift you might want to look into a budget boost and run 30's
Old 12-06-2008, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/xj-boatside-rockers-3313/

check this out for your rockers

nice jeep for a grand
Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

You can also look at my build thread in here for another Idea with rusty rockers.

But if your rockers are that bad you should really check your floor I bet you will find a bigger problem there. again you can refer to my thread

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f40/my-waggie-build-3065/
Old 12-07-2008, 09:00 AM

Yah I just noticed a small spot behind the passenger seat on the floor that feels like a rust hole when i push on it. I would like to try the rhino lining stuff. Up front and in the back is it expensive? And how long did it take you to do remove the carpet and finishing the final coat. Because Im still in HighSchool and our tech teacher lets us bring our cars in the do stuff to them, which i want to do if i can
Old 12-07-2008, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87

Originally Posted by Scorpions91
Yah I just noticed a small spot behind the passenger seat on the floor that feels like a rust hole when i push on it. I would like to try the rhino lining stuff. Up front and in the back is it expensive? And how long did it take you to do remove the carpet and finishing the final coat. Because Im still in HighSchool and our tech teacher lets us bring our cars in the do stuff to them, which i want to do if i can
You can pull all the carpet out at home and remount your seat in it. Rhino took about 2-3 hours for 3 coats front and back. Took one gallon to do my entire floor and I bought it at walmart for 50 bucks may have a pic hold on...

If you find alot of Rust and holes it will take a lot longer to clean it all up and patch it. Take a good weekend to do everything I did. With the rockers the way they are you will more than likely have a lot of rust down where the driver and passenger put ther feet when driving. Have fun you will love your jeep more once you have it put together right. ask me how i know lol.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:12 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

Should get more input here..
Old 12-07-2008, 01:49 PM

Is it hard to get the carpet out? or could i rip it out and buy replacment stock carpet so it looks better?????
Old 12-07-2008, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

First let me star by saying...not a bad lookin XJ ya got there.
2nd: You have one heck of a bro. C'mon...you family. He should have GIVEN it to you and allowed you to use that $1000 to properly "do it up".
Ranting is over....back to the thread, all ready in progress.....

Carpeting: Replacement carpeting can get expensive. If yours is "half-decent", try clean it up and re-use it.
IF you are planning on doing alot of off-road, may want to think about ditching it all together, and just stick w/the bedliner. Some carpeted floor mats do wonders.

Rear carpeting is fairly easy to remove. Screwdriver and a ratchet w/sockets.
Rear seat is the only big obstacle. IF you do not feel like removing the seat: lift bottom up like you were folding the top of the rear seat down. Take a razor knofe (other sharp object) and cut a line from the mounting poit of the rear seat to the edge of carpeting.

NOTE: With your rockers in as bad of a shape as they are... After lifting bottom of rear seat...inspect the lower corner. The spot right behind the underseat panel and the inside of the rocker panel.

In the cargo area: Usually along the wheelwells and the rear-most corners are other prone rust-thru areas.

Up front: Carpet removal gets a bit more complicated as there are seats and center console (large OR small), shifter, and seat belt mounts to take in consideration.

IF you are planning on just ripping it out, please remember, you will have to remove these items to re-install the new carpeting.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

if your just going for looks i wouldnt spend too much. this stuff can get expensive.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM

thanks for all the carpet info!!! But what about the lift what kits should i get? Iv noticed that my leaf springs seem worn as much as i can tell prolly needs shocks too....
Old 12-07-2008, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

if your lookin to go cheap. look up bastard packs and zj coil springs and spacers. them buy one of howlers badazz brake line extenders.....
Old 12-07-2008, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

well you go could go with a budget boost or a kit for the BB I would say look into rubicon express they make a good Add A leaf kit that includes shocks and for a shackle Skyjacker makes a kit that comes with shocks. If you dont want a budget boost and you want new coils and a new leaf pack Rubicon express makes a good 3.5" kit that comes with everything you need but its not cheap and you may run into driveline vibrations at that hight rough country and Rustys offroad also make a decent 3inch kit that comes with springs but no Lower control arms But be prepared that it may ride worse and you may get vibrations.

As for tires with the BB you could fit 30's and the 3 inch kit you could fit 31's or 32's if you trim but be prepared whenever you put bigger tires on your speedometer will be off and it will act more slugish due to not regearing and the bigger tire size
Old 12-10-2008, 05:40 AM

Jeep 3 Inch Suspension
Lift Kits by Black Diamond

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee

Black Diamond offers a complete 3" lift system. Front lift is achieved via replacement coil springs, while replacement lower links with polyurethane eye bushings correctly reposition the front axle in the wheel well and restore caster angle. Rear lift is achieved via full-length add-a-leafs that beef-up the notoriously weak factory springs. Replacement 2.5" rear lift springs are offered as an option for the XJ.

This kit is also available with Front and Rear A/T Series Shocks. Black Diamond A/T (All Terrain) shocks are engineered for performance and stability with features like double arc-welded eyelets, polyurethane bushings and large 5/8" chrome rods. A black polyurethane boot, combined with a weather resistant enamel finish, make the A/T tough on the outside as well.

Add-A-Leaf Lift Kits

Part # BD-XJ-3-KS

WITH A/T SERIES SHOCKS

More Information about this Lift Kit
Price: $429.99 Oversize Freight $24.99 Part # BD-XJ-3-K

WITHOUT A/T SERIES SHOCKS

Price: $279.99 Oversize Freight $24.99

Leaf Springs Lift Kits

Part # BD-XJL-3-KS

WITH A/T SERIES SHOCKS

Price: $647.99 Oversize Freight $24.99 Part # BD-XJL-3-K

WITHOUT A/T SERIES SHOCKS

Price: $497.99 Oversize Freight $24.99

Quick Reply: Lift and others mods worth it?????