Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

LED bulbs

Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO
Default LED bulbs

I was thinking about putting In LED bulbs in my rig for energy savings but I was wondering if anyone has done it and if it's worth it. Are they as bright as the regular bulbs and how reliable are they. Ph and of you got good ones where'd you get em from. I wanna do the brake lights the side markers and turning lights
Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

dont really know how ur save energy in a jeep but, led bulbs work really good they cost a bit more $$ but they last alot longer and are alot brighter then regular bulbs
Old 05-15-2011, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by jeepxj19
dont really know how ur save energy in a jeep but, led bulbs work really good they cost a bit more $$ but they last alot longer and are alot brighter then regular bulbs
I meant less drain on alt I know it won't make too much a difference only an amp but eh lookin to make my xj diff I guess and I am more concerned on the brightness of them
Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4d56td
Default i did

i was having power issues with my jeep to , so i decided to go green and started looking HK stores on ebay which sale leds at a cheap price , i changed every bulb on jeep but the hi beam indicator and the two of the turn signals this is because this vehicles are not made for this kind of bulbs and they are so low consuming that they are not strong enough to activate the relays so when changing bulbs to led keep in mind this, also you are going to need a led flasher so when you are turning they dont flash like crazy , you can find those on ebay too most of the bulbs on our jeep are t10 and some on the dash are t5 , if you need more info about the bulbs your jeep uses you can check on this page http://www.sylvania.com/BusinessProd...otiveLighting/ there you can check every bulb your vehicle uses..
Attached Thumbnails LED bulbs-img-20110430-00120.jpg   LED bulbs-img-20110430-00102.jpg   LED bulbs-img-20110430-00133.jpg   LED bulbs-img-20110430-00118.jpg   LED bulbs-img-20110430-00129.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by preppye
i was having power issues with my jeep to , so i decided to go green and started looking HK stores on ebay which sale leds at a cheap price , i changed every bulb on jeep but the hi beam indicator and the two of the turn signals this is because this vehicles are not made for this kind of bulbs and they are so low consuming that they are not strong enough to activate the relays so when changing bulbs to led keep in mind this, also you are going to need a led flasher so when you are turning they dont flash like crazy , you can find those on ebay too most of the bulbs on our jeep are t10 and some on the dash are t5 , if you need more info about the bulbs your jeep uses you can check on this page http://www.sylvania.com/BusinessProd...otiveLighting/ there you can check every bulb your vehicle uses..
Wow. Where'd you get those corner lights. Looks sick
Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 PM

here are the dashboard and the transmission leds on night they look a lot more on eyesight and white leds gives the instruments indicators a bluish color , the corner lights are normal clear , its just that one day i stare looking at a new scalade and really liked their corner lights, so i bought those clear ones and a led strip on ebay , then i opened both and put the strip inside the corner light and sealed it back again , it looks really cool , i also did the corner lights bypass which is that the lights lits independent from the front one ill try to find the post and put it here
Attached Thumbnails LED bulbs-img-20110522-00217.jpg   LED bulbs-img-20110522-00220.jpg   LED bulbs-img-20110522-00219.jpg  
Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 AM

Year: 1996

So the t5, and the t10, you found on e-bay? I have 22 auxillary lights on the front end of my xj, but havent found led replacements for OEM lights,,, well i take that back i have found them on some shady site's and opt not to purchase them. But if you found all your dash lights on e-bay, could you post the seller?
And ya i look like a mini semi at night, thats when i do most of my driving.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM

there is no specific seller , most of the sellers that sell leds have all types , you just write t5 smd , or t10 smd , there are about 15 t10's bulbs only on inside jeep , and only about 8 t5's there is one on ac , other on clock other on wiper, power trans , defrost , and the ones that show seat belt brakes etc. but thats on my jeep which is an 88 xj.

the t10s are located only on gauges and shifter , make sure you get t10's that have at least 5 smd's so they light up well , im going to check on my ebay account the seller and post it later to you so you can check it out!!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 PM

ok , this is the link to the seller hope it works, however its alway better to find a seller which can sell you all bulbs so you can receive them in one package and do the job in one day , not having to wait for the others to arrive , make a search on ebay and find a seller that can sell you all bulbs , and ill show you the bulbs i purchase , those are t5 , t10 , the 9 leds i used them for the overhead console and the ones that have 5 front facing leds for the gauges

http://shop.ebay.com/present_dream/m...&_trksid=p3686
Attached Images    

Last edited by preppye; 05-26-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget eBay for leds. I have bought some off of ebay. A few lasted like they should and others not so much. You want some leds from someone that knows leds and makes quality ones at that. Superbrightleds.com. I have had much experience with them. All my bulbs I have bought still work. Bought a few for around the house. Accents and what not. And many for my cars. I had an integra with every bulb replaced with an led. Every bulb I could easily get to. All turns, brakes, reverse, domes, trunk, and more. Had the car for over two years. Not one bulb went. Got them all from superbrightleds.com. you. An buy many different styles of one bulb. For example you can get with let's say 6 leds. Or youq can opt for 9. Or even more. Even bulbs that are angled or need to only shine light in one general area and not 360 degrees. Really nice product. Super bright just like their name. As you can read....I highly recommend them. Been very happy with them every time I bought from them. And really the prices aren't too bad. They will help too. I had a system and the lights would dim when the bass hit. Wasn't nearly as bad after all the leds went in. In fact I could turn it up louder it seemed to get any real dim from the lights. That's just me. Didn't really play around with that but that's what I remember. Check em out. Buy one or two. You will be happy. Trust me.

Sent from my DROID INCREDIBLE using Cherokee Forum
Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 PM

Oh...also another good one. Oznium.com. they dont sell bulbs like superbrightleds.com. but they have a ton of cool stuff. Leds for your dome lights. Light bars and flexible light bars. Really cool stuff. Great customer service too. Had one led out of like 20 go bad and they sent me 5 just in case others went bad. Super cool people.

Sent from my DROID INCREDIBLE using Cherokee Forum
Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

I got my LEDs of Ebay. I have a white LED licence plate light, a white trans shifter light, a white transfer case shifter light, a white climate control backlight, Red 12 LED third brake light, and I have white LEDs in the footwells. I got them off ebay for next to nothing and they've been in my XJ for close to 9 months with no problems.

I don't know if they will save you a noticeable amount of power, but they look pretty awesome.

As for the applications you listed, I wouldn't get LEDs in the turn signals for one reason, they have less current draw than the standard light bulb. This causes the turn signal relay to switch on and off faster than normal making it appear that you have a bulb out (which can attract police attention). You're better off keeping your stock turn signal bulbs, but you can replace your brake lights and reverse lights without any problems.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 PM

yeahh i know turn signals do that , its why i specified to get a led flasher which can be found on any ebay store too and lights will lit normally..
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 AM

great info gents. thank you for your input and sugestions