Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaky Head Gasket, Milky Coolant ??s

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Leaky Head Gasket, Milky Coolant ??s

2 months ago I bought a 2001 XJ sport from my girlfriend. It is at about 140k miles. Her dad and/or she have owned it since <10K miles. He drives no faster than 65 on the interstate. It's been babied.

SO -- I have used Seafoam and, most recently, Lucas fuel additive.
AND -- I think some additive ate my head gasket.
It is leaking under the manifold on the driver's side. It's substantial.
Coolant is slightly milky.
Oil is fine.
Oil pressure is fine, Throttle response is normal, temp is normal.
This happened 2 days ago and I've put maybe 30 miles on it in 10 mile stints, always ensuring there is coolant.

I took it to midas (i know, i know.. but I've been f*ed by so many local guys) and they said my diagnosis sounds right and that they will call me with a quote. They said it will be a week and will need a trip to the machine shop if I am correct.

Here's my question
Is the machine shop necessary?
Is there anything else I should have them do while they've got her torn open?
I don't want to spend a ton of cash, but I've heard the 4.0 is a great engine and will go the distance. If I can improve my chances of it "going the distance," I'll take the necessary measures.

Just Empty Every F'in Pocket... was going to pay to have a bumper built, frame repaired, and put a lift on it.. I guess that will have to wait until the summer.

Thanks guys... I searched the forum, however I was hoping I could get some advice knowing the history of the engine and everyone's anecdotal advice is case-by-case.. In other words, don't bite me for a redundant post. I have a specific question!! Thanks in advance..
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to any other n00bs (like myself) with a similar problem, check your block heater.... and if you're lucky, it's under warranty.. wow. I was so stressed. Driving a turbo volvo for years will scar a man when it comes to dealing with mechanics.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

If i were you i would make sure its the head gasket and make sure that the head is it self isnt cracked. Also if you are going to have the head off try to find a head from a 97 to 99 with 0630 head if its possible
Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

If you are even medium "home mechanic" material I would suggest changing the head gasket yourself and saving who knows how much money. ($1000?)...I know it sounds scary but I did mine with common hand tools. Started right after work Friday evening and by Saturday afternoon had it back together and running. Didnt machine the head. Just checked it with the metal edge of a level laying it across the head at various angles looking for any sign of a gap.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 in a row makes it go

milky coolant means that theirs erl(oil) mixing in...more then likely it is probably the head gasket but since i cannot actually diagnosis it personally I'm not going to say it is 100% the HG.