Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

leaks from both side of the driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default leaks from both side of the driveshaft

I am leaking fluid/oil from both sides of the driveshaft. The side of the transfer case and the axle side. I know the rear pinion is the name of one side but I don't know what the name is of the seal on the transfer case side(sorry). Anyways I don't think I know enough to mess with it myself and so I was wondering what a fair price and time would be if I gave it to a shop? I live in southern california so there is a million different mechanics and shops around so I need to know a fair price when dealing with them. Thanks
Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is called exactly what it appears to be.............(You got it right)
Transfer Case Output Seal..........

It is not really that complicated to replace, but it involves removing the driveshaft, the boot (it's clamped on), and the slinger (you need a puller) to get to the seal..................

The pinion seal is a little more complicated, as it involves removing the pinion yoke, and once the seal is removed, you have to remove the outer pinion bearing and crush-sleeve, and replace with a new crush-sleeve to set proper pinion preload upon reinstallation of the yoke...........
Old 12-15-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

so if it's clamped on how do I get it unclamped? I might just try the transfer case side myself it they ask for ridiculous prices for the transfer case side. The pinion seal...sounds a bit out of my skill range and too time consuming right now. Thanks for the info and help.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:27 PM

The boot is usually installed with "Pinch" type clamps (like the kind that are on CV axles on a front wheel drive car)
They have to be pried apart, and mostly broken to get them off.........

REAR PROPELLER SHAFT

REMOVAL

1. Shift the transmission and transfer case (if applicable) to their Neutral positions. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Scribe alignment marks at the pinion shaft and at each end of the propeller shaft. These marks will be used for installation reference.
  3. Remove the U - joint strap bolts at the pinion shaft yoke.
  4. Slide the slip yoke off of the transmission/transfer case output shaft and remove the propeller shaft Rear Propeller Shaft
INSTALLATION

1. Slide the slip yoke on the transmission/transfer case output shaft. Align the installation reference marks at the axle yoke and install the propeller shaft Rear Propeller Shaft
Replacement U - joint straps and bolts must be installed.
  1. Tighten the U - joint strap/clamp bolts at the axle yoke to 19 N·m (14 ft. lbs.) torque.
  2. Lower the vehicle.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:35 PM

NV231 TRANSFER CASE

DISASSEMBLY

Position transfer case on shallow drain pan. Remove drain plug and drain lubricant remaining in case.
REAR RETAINER AND OIL PUMP REMOVAL

1. Remove the speedometer adapter.(Not needed as long as you are only removing the seal)
  2. Spread band clamp which holds output shaft boot to slinger with a suitable awl, or equivalent.
  3. Remove output shaft boot from slinger and output shaft.
  4. Using Puller MD-998056-A, remove rear slinger
  5. Remove slinger stop spacer and snap-ring from output shaft
    Rear Slinger Removal
    Slinger Stop Spacer and Snap-ring
  6. Use a suitable pry tool, or a slide hammer mounted screw, to remove the seal from the rear retainer
NV242 TRANSFER CASE

DISASSEMBLY

REAR RETAINER REMOVAL

1. Remove output shaft boot. Spread band clamp that secures boot on slinger with a suitable awl. Then slide boot off shaft Output Boot - Typical
  2. Using puller MD-998056-A, remove rear slinger Rear Slinger Removal
  3. Remove slinger stop spacer and snap-ring from output shaft Slinger Stop Spacer and Snap-ring
  4. Remove rear seal from retainer Rear Seal Removal Use pry tool, or collapse seal with punch to remove it.

Last edited by Firehawk068; 12-15-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:42 PM

When you reinstall the boot, you can either get new pinch clamps, and use a crimping tool to tighten them, or I have seen some people use regular worm screw type clamps to put the boot back on.........

Last edited by Firehawk068; 12-15-2014 at 11:47 PM.